Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is going through major changes this winter as I want to make it a good open track car that can be daily driven.

what front bumper helps the most on the track (or the german highways without speedlimits)?

I had the cobra bumper with fix attached splitter... but the car was a pain to daily drive because it was so low.
then I had a 03 cobra bumper but I just didn't like how it looked on my car.... now I have no bumper at all...

what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about getting the 2000 cobra r but with removable splitter... it's just the price that hurts me a bit...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
other idea would be the Roush Stage 3 bumper... opinions to this one?

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Just like a proper splitter you need to have a underbelly pan at least to the front crossmember to not allow high pressure pockets which create lift. I was also look into either venting your hood or cowl induction to remove air trapped in your engine compartment. Racecar Engineering magazine a few months ago showed data on proper air splitters. Most people only have a spoiler with no underpan or a very small amount of pan. Where ever the under pan ends turbulence will start and if its before the radiator a air turbulence pocket will build eventually creating a lift area. I would find books or internet searches on front aero design. Their should be data somewhere on the aerodynamics of a mustang.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
That's pretty cool stuff, Dirk. Could you be more specific on what exactly that plastic is? Type? Thickness? Where one could find it? I might have to try something similar on my car(s).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I do work for a TV Station and we use that "sheet Plastic" to cover the floor to protect it. The sheet is 100cm x 200cm and ~5mm thick.
I did cut the whole piece in 3 little 100cm x 66cm pieces.

Most of the guys from Mightymustangs in Germany are with the US Army, so I'd guess shipping it to you won't be much of a problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Patrick Olsen said:
That's pretty cool stuff, Dirk. Could you be more specific on what exactly that plastic is? Type? Thickness? Where one could find it? I might have to try something similar on my car(s).
You should be able to find some in your area. I have found several local plastic company's. I just looked in the yellow pages under "plastic". The place I use can make anything out of pcv, lexan, abs....just give them a design or blueprint. But they also have a very good scrap bin that they sell peices out of for cheap. They have pvc sheet, tubes, abs plastic sheets, & lexan, all in different thickness, colors...A search in your are should turn up something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts