Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking a dizzy with vacuum advance would advance timing with rpms, but wouldnt you want to retard the timing as you build boost? So should i just plug off the vacuum advance???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am running the stock injected one. It works great. I had an issue with my MSD and it cost me a brand new motor. I'll keep the stock stuff from now on.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
if it is a 302, pick up the 8582 from msd, 8584 for 351w and lock it out.. Then pick up a BTM or a 6530 box to setup a timming map.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean lock it out? And i have a Mallory HyFire 685 it has boost retard im pretty sure

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
What do you mean lock it out? And i have a Mallory HyFire 685 it has boost retard im pretty sure

i always take the rotor off and look at the little arms that have the springs on them, take off the springs and turn the arms where they are all the way out(or all the way in doesnt matter) and tack weld them... that way the dist is at full advance and the timming is set and wont move around on you..

·
Registered
193 Posts
First you'll need to remove the weights and springs. Remove the roll pin from the drive gear, then remove the gear and two bushings. The shaft can then be pulled up through the housing. Under the weight plate assembly, there is a nut that holds the advance stop bushing in place. Remove both the nut, washer and the bushing. The assembly can then be pulled up and separated from the shaft. Turn the weight plate assembly 180 degrees until the stud lines up with the small hole opposite the slot where the advance stop bushing sat. With the stud all the way down in the hole, reinstall the nut and washer. Reassemble the distributor and you're done! Remember that the springs and weights are not reinstalled.

Copied from MSD's site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts