Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal, I am beating myself to death with the descion.

I got a 347 TW heads Holly intake 5 speed car with 327's
60lbs injectors and a PMAS meter
76mm Perscion Turbo with Intercooler.

My goal is nice power with RELIABILITY. I will gladly give up power for some reliability.

There is a local guy who can tune with SCT. Future mods are not planned. Can the SCT handle this task?

There is a guy who can tune with the PMS. I think hes pretty good with them.

I am interested in the XPI Timing lock but have heard little to nothing about it. I realize it is limited, but again Im good with that if it is reliable. I really like this idea as it is simple.

Any comments on any of the systems?

What would you do or any other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I like my AEM computer.

Reliability and accuracy of a stand alone like FAST, but plugs
into the factory harness.

Also opens up doors of controlling boost thru the computer, data logging
and much more.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use SCT 4 bank chip on my junk. Drivability and dependability is like a stocker on the screets. And has been reliable too! I have a SCT ba2600 maf and 60#inj.

From what I hear the SCT chip/A9L can handle up to 6500rpm.

·
4,305 Posts
Go with whatever you can find a good local tuner for even if you plan to do it yourself it leaves you someone to fall back on. I have seen way too many people pick things because they read about others saying how great they were but only to discover they never could get it setup right, the AEM is a great example of this.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I like my AEM computer.

Reliability and accuracy of a stand alone like FAST, but plugs
into the factory harness.

Also opens up doors of controlling boost thru the computer, data logging
and much more.
x2!!!!

I love my AEM. With the blower, pms and 83# injectors I had a hard time getting it to run right at idle and tip in. WOT was fine though. Switched to the AEM and it was a night and day difference. Even with the start up tune I got from Bob Kurgan. If you buy the EMS from Bob he supplies you with a start up tune and all the support you need. I drove the car a little and data logged it. I emailed the data log back to Bob. He sent me a corrected tune for the a/f that was a little off. Bob is very easy to get a hold of by email or phone. He even helps his customers for free at the track on test and tune days. He is not to far from you either.

Between the AEM EMS and Bob's capabilities I do not think you will be disappointed at all. The EMS is very easy to use. If you have basic understanding of how a motor & fuel injection works you can tune it. When I first got the unit I did a lot of my cold start and drivability tuning. It was not hard at all. The data logger is very helpful for sure.

The SCT will work as well. If you plan to tune it and leave it alone. But when you add up the price of the chip, wastegate controller and such your about at the price of the EMS. Plus with the EMS you get a lot more like wide band O2 correction, switch input and outputs, data logging, no MAF to deal with (junk curves for big injectors or re correction for bigger injectors), etc.. Great deal for sure.

But if you are afraid of tuning yourself check with your tuner for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts