Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as im driving the car more and more im finally getting used to it and getting into full boost...The other day the vac line to the PCV blew off it was a loose fiiting hose so i clamped it ok that seem to hold that on then i took it out and blew the breather tube out on the pass valve cover...but i know why the valve cover must have been for a Carb car so the hole is in the back near the throttle linkage so the shop that did my car rigged something up they used a grommet that fits very loose then a socket like a 3/4 inch to a piece of hose to a breather with a PCV in it...thats what keeps blowing out..its not a good fit...and ideas what i can do?...can i run one hose to a catch can and the pcv in the intake or what?...LOL....help

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your best bet would be to ditch the PCV setup altogether and run a hose off of each valve cover to a catch can. If you currently have that much blow-by pressurizing the crankcase, you're gonna have lots of oil leaks soon.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet would be to ditch the PCV setup altogether and run a hose off of each valve cover to a catch can. If you currently have that much blow-by pressurizing the crankcase, you're gonna have lots of oil leaks soon.
Will a catch can help that much?...which one should i get?...Also the reason i think im having this problem is the valve cover was meg shifted to fit a grommet and somewhat of a hose to a breather i bought the valve covers used and it had this hole in it already and its right under the TB linkage so you can barely fit anything...So i want to get a new set and do a catch can and get rid of the PCV so should this help me out?

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using this catch can:

Moroso 85473 - Moroso Vacuum/Dry Sump Breather Tanks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Except I drilled and tapped the smallish 3/8 NPT fittings oversize to 3/4 NPT. I then Drilled and tapped my TFS valve covers for 3/4 NPT and then ran 3/4 hose from them to the catch can. I'll eventually upgrade it all to AN fittings and braided hose when my wallet recovers.
I like that can catch cool what size is 3/4 equal to AN fittings?...i was thinking of trying those bulk head fittings on the Valve covers and run 2 lines to a catch can..i will probably go AN right off the bat...What did you use to plug your PCV ? YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
+1. I prefer -12AN (3/4" ID) lines. Many use -10AN without issues, but you can never go too big in terms of the breather lines. Also make sure that your breather neck is at least as large in terms of area as both of your breather lines added together.

Freeze plugs work well to seal up the lower intake opening. I forget the required size. Maybe someone can chime in.

It's a shame your shop didn't realize how they needed to properly evacuate the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1. I prefer -12AN (3/4" ID) lines. Many use -10AN without issues, but you can never go too big in terms of the breather lines. Also make sure that your breather neck is at least as large in terms of area as both of your breather lines added together.

Freeze plugs work well to seal up the lower intake opening. I forget the required size. Maybe someone can chime in.

It's a shame your shop didn't realize how they needed to properly evacuate the crankcase.
so -12an is 3/4 inch?...Yeah that would be good if someone chimes in about the freeze out plug size...Yeah My fiance is kinda upset with the shop too...lol...More money i have to dish out when i could have dished it out then...if that makes sense?

·
Registered
277 Posts
what shop did the work cause it sounds like they rigged stuff and you had pipes falling off. hope you get the problems worked out. the -an sizes work as 1/16th.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what shop did the work cause it sounds like they rigged stuff and you had pipes falling off. hope you get the problems worked out. the -an sizes work as 1/16th.
The pipe that blew off i can see why it did..the couplers seem to short,i just ordered a 3ft length from raceparts solutions...i will replace the couplers with longer pieces should be ok..The valve cover was hacked before i bought it they tried to make it work and well kinda let me know it was only temp...I think going to a catch can will be better anyways no?

·
Registered
277 Posts
the catch can is the way to go. if i can figure out how to load pics on here again i can show you my set-up. i used a jegs can and mounted it so it's in the passenger side fender well. my engine compartment is very packed so i got creative. i also just used reinforced heater hose.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the catch can is the way to go. if i can figure out how to load pics on here again i can show you my set-up. i used a jegs can and mounted it so it's in the passenger side fender well. my engine compartment is very packed so i got creative. i also just used reinforced heater hose.
Thanks that would be great!!! So did you notice a difference right away after doing the catch can...Im sure that should slove my problem?...Also the catch can i want has a filter on top does that help the engine breath too?....or does it need breathers also?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No breathers on the VC. Just lines from your VC's to the catch can with a big breather on top.
OK cool does that help the car breath at the same time as help pressuring the crank case,,i guess what im asking is dual purpose?

·
Registered
994 Posts
OK cool does that help the car breath at the same time as help pressuring the crank case,,i guess what im asking is dual purpose?
It helps to ventilate the boost that is getting past the rings and pressurizing your crankcase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts