Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys getting my combo set up for a few track passes this year,looking to see what size tires i can run with out having to shift into 5th at the end. little run down of my car its a 1995 cobra rebuilt 302, gt40x heads,cobra intake,b21 blower cam,vortech s-trim making around 450rwhp ,im running a 03/04 cobra t56 with a rst twin disc clutch and 3.73s was originally looking at a 28-10-15 slick or radial. are my rear gears to high i wanted to do a fms 4.30 but they are now discontinued and i hear other 4.30s just make too much noise and this car will see alot of road time

any help appreciated ive never been good at calculating setups like this Thanks mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would go with a radial tire.do you know your first gear ratio in the t56

If it's the 2.66 I would go with 275/50/15

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not enough info. What mph does it trap? What rpm do you want to be running at the end of the track.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's a 2.66 first gear , it's a new setup so I'm not sure , I'd imagine it will trap 115-120ish with this setup depending if I hook and 60ft good , I'd like to be around 5500 in 4th through the traps mayb a little higher

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
stickshift car I would go with a slick if you have a set of rims for the track. I love my DR's but slicks are so easier for a car that sees only some drag duty. I would also go it with a taller sidewall, like a 60 series if you go with a DR. Helps on the initial hit on stick car.

Reactions: mustang2pt3

·
Registered
801 Posts
I ran a very similar setup in my 1995 GT...stock shortblock, GT40X heads, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer and a S-Trim with stock 3.33"/6.87" pulleys. I ran a 3.73 gear with both a stock T5 (3.35 1st gear) and a G-Force T5 (2.95 1st gear). I used a 26x10 stiffwall ET Drag at the track and it worked well. Only made a handful of passes with this setup, but it ran a best of 11.36 and trapped as high as 124mph on a very cool day. My 60 foots were not spectacular though because I had very stiff lowered suspension and ended up tearing apart the poly bushings in the control arms. I think with more time it would have gone high 10's.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks good to know , I'm sure I'm gonna mess around with slicks and the new Mickey Thompson new r compound radial for stick cars but was looking for sizes, I know it's diff with every car set up , gears ,Trans and engine . Thanks guys warm weather and w will see what happens

1 - 8 of 8 Posts