Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could tell me what my setup needs because my trap speed does not seem to match what my E.T is. Here is my setup on my '82GT

351w(.060),10:3, ported & polished iron heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, BBK shorties & flowmasters, 274XE cam, stealth intake, mallory dizzy, stealth intake, 750dp, Edge 3700 stall converter, C-4, 4:10's

My best run is 12.79 with at 104.2mph. My trap speed should be around 106-108 with that kind of E.T(so I'm told).
I'm running full M/T drag slicks (9inch tires) and I get high 1.6 60' times.
I run about 8.06 at 83mph in the 1/8 mile
Do you think it's possible that my cam is too small and is running out of power before the end of the 1/4 mile or because my '74 heads cast iron heads? Even though they are mildly ported and have over-sized valves?
I was told that this setup could "probably" run a little bit better with a little bit more tweaking. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're losing a lot with the shorties,get some long tubes.

Yeah, a lot of people say that but I've already been in that discussion about long tubes vs shorties. I'm one of those people that say there is NOT much of a difference between the two. Others claim that long tubes offer better low end power while shorties offer better high end power. If that's the case then I dont need more low end....I need more top end power.
I agree 100% with you about the heads though. I know I am losing a lot there. My rpms through the traps is around 5600, which is why I am leaning towards my cam being too small.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I wouldn't say your cam is too small. Your E.T. is great considering your trap speed, that's what you call a quality problem. You may get a little more power from tuning, but I'd throw a set of vic juniors on if funds permit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts