Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my buddy just went to his first track event and had a blast. I'm sure it was but he has a z06 and it is definitely more suited for the track then my 89 fox. So my question is what do i need to do to my car for my first track event besides the obvious good tires and brakes? My car is an 89 GT lowered, still a 4 lug, still rear drums, has 17X9 cobra R's with 245's up front and 275's out back. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check all your fluid levels.
Check you have at least half brakes pads/shoes material remaining.
Go through the event car tech list.
Get a proper fitting helmet.
Fill the gas tank.
Have at it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a plan. My buddy said they stressed oil temps during their sesions. Is that a concern?

·
Registered
782 Posts
subframe connectors will help a lot.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know much about Corvettes except a lot of those guys at the track deal with high oil temps (280F or higher). You should be fine with synthetic oil for the Mustang.

There is one thing you can do while on the track. Repeat to yourself, "I'm in a passing zone, check the mirrors, check the gauges." Do that enough times and you'll get into the good habit of checking your gauges 3-4 times a lap without even realizing it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You should replace all the brake fluid in the car with new heavy-duty Ford brake fluid, especially if you can't remember the last time it was done ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If this is your first track event, you should be focused on learning the right techniques of where to look, where to place the car, etc, not on getting the balls-out fastest times, so just make sure everything's bolted down tight, won't rub where it's not supposed to, won't fall off. Make sure your cooling system is up to task and your oil is topped up, and you should probably flush the brakes with DOT 4 fluid.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only thing not mentioned so far is that FOX Mustangs sometimes puke PS fluid out the fill cap when driven on track. Draining/flushing the the PS fluid and refilling it with a quality fluid will help. If it still starts to puke you can wrap a rag around the cap and tie/tape it in place. A PS cooler helps.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
like mentioned, id say:
synthetic oil, good performance PS fluid and brake fluid with higher boiling temps

uhh u want to run 275s on all four, shes gonna push with those narrow tires up front, however idk if u will be able to fit with stock spindles, (grab some 94/95 spindles and do a 5 lug and rear disc brake swap)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts