Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to Carlsbad on Saturday to run the car. It was my 2nd time ever running and my 1st time with gears & 1st time to Carlsbad (which is a poor conditioned track for those who don't know). I drove right onto the track after just getting off the freeway with a 1/4 tank of gas and a trunk with some luggage in it (I stayed over night in San Diego). I kept the tires at normal pressure.

I got 6 runs in. My best was a 13.688 @ 101.95 MPH with a 2.191 60 FT time

My best MPH was 106.2 MPH which I was happy about.

I had alot of trouble with traction and launching as you can tell by my 60 ft times. Here are the 6 runs:

RUN 1: 2.378 60ft 13.983 @ 101.92 MPH
On this run, I spun / hopped all of 1st out of the hole and then hit my rev limiter shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I am a newbie at this.:)

RUN 2: 2.224 60ft 14.224 @ 101.22 MPH
On this run, my launch was better, but then I missed 3rd gear.

RUN 3: 2.301 60ft 13.896 @ 101.89 MPH
I had a tough time launching. Alot of spinning / hopping. Launching at this track it really tough.:mad:

RUN 4: 2.284 60ft 13.707 @ 106.20 MPH:eek:
I don't know what happened but the car got really strong once I hit 3rd gear and I couldn't beleive I trapped 5MPH higher than before.

RUN 5: 2.223 60ft 13.744 @ 104.01 MPH
By this run, I had learned how to launch better, by slipping the clutch at around 2500 RPM.

RUN 6: 2.191 60ft 13.688 @ 101.95 MPH
I was so pissed... I missed 4th gear which slowed me down. The run felt perfect until I missed 4th. I was hoping for a 13.5. Oh well, next time.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I am new at this. Why did the car start to pick up MPH so drastically? What do you think the car is capable of? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Those are good times, I still can't get out of the 2.2 60' times..

I am stock for now and my best run is in my sig..

1/8 is around 8.9 @ 80 MPH.

So I take it the springs/struts/shocks didn't help the hop?

Shawn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My best 1/8th Mile time was 8.921 @ 81.78 MPH.
My best 1/8th Mile MPH was 82.26 MPH.

BlackSnake2001 - My suspension did help alot. But this is a really bad track. It is know for its traction issues. People go there because it is at sea level. We don't have any good tracks in Southern California.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Times look good man!! I am hoping with the suspension I can get even lower in the 13's!!

MPH is awesome man!

Shawn

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where were you shifting? You were probably taking it to the redline on that 106 run. My best run so far is a 13.571 @ 104.44, dead stock. Slip the clutch at 3k-3.5k rpms, and then just drive your balls off. Shift at the redline, and you should be good. An aftermarket tach would help with this, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where it is exactly. Try around 7k.

Larry

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've had about 10 runs on my car so far, all the MPH seem to stay at 102.5 to 102.9.. Et's are about the same 13.8 to 13.7 with the same 60's 2.21 and 2.26

I got my best ET shifting at 6100 on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

Maybe it's just my car, cause I know the HP and TQ curves aren't the best after 6...

What's the rest of your info on that 13.5 run! I am interested to know any tricks in launching these cars..

Shawn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys guys. Yes, I was shifting at redline every time. That is why I hit the rev limiter a couple if times. Also, when I launched any higher than 2800 RPM, it just spun and hopped. The track has no traction.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont know about now, but when I did not have my N.O.S. or my nitto's I ran a 13.7 I lautched at 3000 and shifted lower about 6400 I found it drops my in power band quicker. good times, see ya jerad

·
Registered
489 Posts
GAME said:
What do you guys think? Keep in mind I am new at this. Why did the car start to pick up MPH so drastically? What do you think the car is capable of? Thanks.
Game,

Those are great times for the CBad ice-rink, considering your mods. I can't do better than 14.0/2.3. I have been there on four different days and only made 3 to 4 passes/day.

The high-end pick up is probably from the DenseCharger. I have seen Cobra dyno charts that show a 1-2 HP increase and 4-5 lb/ft torque lost with the CAI. So, I interpret that to mean that the 32V gets a little more air at the high revs.

I had the MAC CAI on for a while and the car seemed to rev more freely, at the 5.5K to 6.5K range. It was easier to hit the rev-limiter, if I didn't watch the tach. I ditched the CAI because my car pinged less w/o it.

/bud

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BadBud - did you improve your ET's after installing the PHP IRS brace? Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
GAME said:
BadBud - did you improve your ET's after installing the PHP IRS brace? Thanks.
Game,

Not better, just more consistent. I can run 14/2.3 all day long. The PHP is definitely *major* improvement on the street and worth every penny. I would have to try very hard to get the car to wheel hop anywhere on the street now.

Don't expect miracles at the strip. It is probably because I just can't drive off the line. But after seeing this quote from Joe Lynch, I don't feel so bad:

I never could learn to drive the car out with street tires and I never could get it to not hop consistently on street tires.

Traction is the only known cure for frustration at a drag strip with an IRS. Halfshafts and 10" ET Streets will do it every time. If I had it to do over again, I would go straight to the sticky tires and good halfshafts and skip all the other stuff.

I wish I could get some quick back-to-back starts. I am really just learning how to launch and with an hour or so between passes, it's really hard for me to put it together.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
See... I am debating getting a full exhuast and CAI until I do what Joe Lynch says, get the better halfshafts and sticky tires..

What do you guys think?

I CAN'T, NO MATTER WHAT get the car to wheel hop on the street. The Cobra R suspension is ordered but I just don't know if it and the IRS brace is enough.

Launching is the key to better times, I agree with you on that!

Shawn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlackSnake2001 - I couldn't get the car to wheel hop either on the street until I got 4.10's. Then it hopped very little. I am amazed to hear how bad some people have wheel hop. I just don't see it. Maybe the roads are better here.:confused:

IMO, an intake and exhaust should come first, but if all you care about is going fast, go for the GKN halfshafts and some ET's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
game

you should come to sears point sonoma ca they just redid the track suppose to be one of the fastest tracks in world im sure you would get great times.

·
Registered
751 Posts
A 2001 Cobra coupe STOCK is a low 13 second car, so with your mods mid 12's are attainable no problem. I'd say you guys are having some major major problems getting traction to get the same times as GT's get with minor bolt ons:confused: Maybe it is the IRS holding you guys back.

If I was getting the times you guys are getting with a Cobra, my first mod would be to pic up a set of 15" drag wheels and some slicks:eek: God, all you pay for on a Cobra is that added power and most guys seem to be getting GT times, that would piss me off:mad: Damn IRS:confused:

Practice Practice Practice, and you should get low 13's at least......I would be mad if I didn't get high 12's with that car:mad:

ROB

·
Registered
495 Posts
BoostedGT:

How many "minor bolt on Gt's" have you seen run 108 mph???
I have not, mine ran almost 105 and that seemed high. My Gt ran close in et to what my cobra powered one does but I was not going sideways down the track and having to let out of it to keep it straight. Most of us are learning how to launch on street tires, we don't thrash cars every day for MM&FF. No matter how much power you have et's are limited on street tires, even more so on 18s.

BTW. What does your blown gt run on street tires ??? I have some 18s you can borrow as long as you don't curb them on the guard rail.;)

Jason.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BoostedGT - I think you are overlooking some important factors. Firstly, most of us could not hit a low 13 with a bone stock Cobra. You would have to be a damn good driver to do that, which I am not. Also, here in California, the highest Octane pump gas we can get is 91. It also contains MTBE which slows us down. Another think is, the track I ran at was far from ideal conditions. There is now way anyone could hit 12's in my car at Carlsbad on Street Tires. It is just impossible. Lastly, I had a trunk with filled with luggage and a spare tire, and just under a half tank of gas. These are not exactly in my favor. Just some things to think about. And try launching a 5spd car, not Auto. With IRS at that. Its not as easy as you may think.

·
Registered
489 Posts
GAME said:
BoostedGT - I think you are overlooking some important factors.
Also, please see Joe Lynch's quote in my post above re: just how hard it is to launch an IRS on street tires. That man can drive a car.

Carlsbad has got to be the most rinky-dink track. It's been around for about 30+ years and never maintained.

Game, did you notice that the tree is actually hung by a cable suspended across the track? It's like "Welcome to Possum Valley, yeehaw!"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BadBud said:

Game, did you notice that the tree is actually hung by a cable suspended across the track? It's like "Welcome to Possum Valley, yeehaw!"
Yes, it is a pretty sorry track. It's amazing so many people race there every weekend. It would make things alot better if they just paved that damn road down to the track!:mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts