Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to sell my rear and was told from previous owner these are 93 cobra brakes but I dont know about that. Its a fox length axles rear (not 93 cobra). What do yas think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just checked for numbers on caliper... Near the Varga I got 082f and near the bleeder vfcc 2306-1 (hard to tell)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not in any spot i can see unless its on the underside .. I found a old post on another forum with those numbers and they are saying from turbo tbird?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, the 4 lug options for the 8.8" rear discs all come down to:
SVO Mustangs
93 Cobra
Turbo Coupe Thunderbirds (and probably a very few Cougars that may have been available with the same rear.)

However, none are Fox length axles.
All are the same SN95 width, and pretty much the same setups other than minor changes over the years.

If your's is fitted with stock Fox axles, then someone modified the brakes to fit, either with the "bracket flip" mod, or with some aftermarket brackets.

I am pretty sure the rear in the pic is not a TC rear, as the quad mounts are different on the T-Bird/Cougar. They are much taller than Mustang quad mount brackets. So, unless your pics are just playing tricks on my eyes, you have a Mustang rear with the SVO/TC/Cobra discs. They could still be TC brakes that were retrofitted to a Stang housing. If they flipped the brackets, then the stock axles could be used with any of the disc setups.

After looking at the pics again, the brackets don't look aftermarket. I can't tell if they are flipped or not from these pics. Are you positive they are Fox length axles?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Looks to me like the caliper is the 45mm Varga based upon the caliper cage. Given that it's also using a 4-lug rotor and a Fox-length axle, I'd say it's an SSBC kit based upon the old Ford M2300C conversioni kit. In all cases (SSBC, M2300C, TC-TB and 93 Cobra), the only difference was the axle flange mount which was either for the longer or shorter Fox-lenght axles. Pic of my SSBC kit --

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok maybe the guy wasnt BS me when he said he took it off a 93 cobra then. Thanks for the info fellas

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I installed 88 TC rear calipers on my car and they have a torsion spring for the parking brake mechanism. I don't see a torsion spring on yours. Either it's missing or they're not TC calipers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the exact same varga calipers as part of my SSB rear brake upgrade kit that i purchased about 13 years ago. it uses the stock fox length axles and uses the 87-88 turbo coupe brake pads. I believe the rotor is 10".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts