Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 351w roller block same as whats in the lightning.i have a set of trick flow twisted wedge heads they are 64cc.i was told my motor with a 64cc head would be 8:8:1 my question is should i have the heads shavede to raise the compression? if so how much should i have then shaved.its more of a street car then a track car so i dont want anything to high.a list below is what i have done to the car.

351w roller block
turbonetics 76mm turbo
JGS precision 40mm wastegate
front mount intercooler
CRT built the trans,comparable to a super comp c-4.
has a PA transbrake valve body,billet servo,PA deep pan,scs cheetah shifter,small bellhousing(157t),B&M tranny cooler,-6an steel braided lines for the cooler,
9" billet convertor 3800 stall with a billet stator in the convertor
A1000 fuel pump
Aeromotive fuel rails
Anderson Motorsport PMS
Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick flow Box R series upper and lower
75MM throttle body
PMAS blow through mass air meter
60lb injectors
Ford Racing SFI Harmonic Balancer
Ford racing aluminum drive shaft
QA-1 K member with A arms
90/10 with coilovers
Real cobra R hood
Cobra front bumper
Cobra rear bumper
rear lower control arms
2002 Cobra Complete interior
MSD 6 digital
NOS 150 dry kit
AEM Tru boost controller
15x3 and 15x10 welds wrapped in 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson Drag radials
waiting on my JGS precision wastegate and turbo to come from ups

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Shaving the heads .020 or so isn't going to make much difference in compression. If you're doing it for more power, I wouldn't waste your time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaving the heads .020 or so isn't going to make much difference in compression. If you're doing it for more power, I wouldn't waste your time.
i didnt think it would make much difference either but people keep telling me to raise the compression.they say if i raise the compression

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't see the cam listed anywhere there - that's where your power and spool time are going to be, not in the static compression. Static compression really doesn't mean squat when it comes to actually making power.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see the cam listed anywhere there - that's where your power and spool time are going to be, not in the static compression. Static compression really doesn't mean squat when it comes to actually making power.
im going to be running a F cam

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
haha, yea compression makes a big diff in spooling turbo or turbos...but ole well not arguing about it.. you will be fine with a 351 F cam and a 76mm..

im spooling a TC78mm with a stock motor and a B cam.. it comes up super easy..

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, yea compression makes a big diff in spooling turbo or turbos...but ole well not arguing about it.. you will be fine with a 351 F cam and a 76mm..

yea i have had alot of people talk #### about me using the F cam and they all say go with a custom grind cam.if i was trying to make more then 700 then yea i would go with a custom grind cam but i have seen people make 1000 with a F cam and have even seen people make 550 with a stock cam

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Why shave the heads when you can just run more boost?
I read some where that when you lower your compression ratio 1 whole point you lose aprox 3% of your HP but raising your boost 1psi you gain aprox 3.4%. And by lowering your static compression ratio 1 point (10:1 to 9:1) you can run more than 1psi extra of boost.

So from my understanding rarely would you want to raise your compression on a boosted engine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

I didn't say compression doesn't make a difference. I said static compression doesn't mean anything. The cam is where the things happen that make the difference.

It's the same reason that some guys can run 10.5:1 or 11:1 static on a boosted pump gas car and never have a problem - they understand how to control cylinder pressure.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why shave the heads when you can just run more boost?
I read some where that when you lower your compression ratio 1 whole point you lose aprox 3% of your HP but raising your boost 1psi you gain aprox 3.4%. And by lowering your static compression ratio 1 point (10:1 to 9:1) you can run more than 1psi extra of boost.

So from my understanding rarely would you want to raise your compression on a boosted engine.
i have always been told if you can get away with it run less boost and more compression.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts