Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now the car is just about bone stock. 2003 GT with Flowmaster catback, short throw shifter and BBK CAI. I know that Flowmaster systems are pretty much worthless when it comes to airflow and turbos in general do not like chambered mufflers. Which catback is ideal for frount mount turbos? What do people with Hellion kits normally use?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I just put pypes race pro on my 97 GT. It is straight thru and quiet. For loud, pypes violators are straight thru with no packing and are loud. I have flows on my 89 twin turbo, they don't seems bad.
Erich

·
Registered
255 Posts
Right now the car is just about bone stock. 2003 GT with Flowmaster catback, short throw shifter and BBK CAI. I know that Flowmaster systems are pretty much worthless when it comes to airflow and turbos in general do not like chambered mufflers. Which catback is ideal for frount mount turbos? What do people with Hellion kits normally use?
you can use any cat back really...it all will sound normal...unless you have a wastegate that vents into air...then you really cant hear the exhaust....lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure it'll sound good, I love how it sounds now. I was just curious if the chambered mufflers would be a restriction to airflow on a turbo application. I had heard that it would not be ideal.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I kind of like the flows I have on my 89. They are super quiet with cats and turbos. Nobody would ever suspect what a beast this car is.
Erich

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm sure it'll sound good, I love how it sounds now. I was just curious if the chambered mufflers would be a restriction to airflow on a turbo application. I had heard that it would not be ideal.
my buddy has a hellion kit on his couple...stock motor on 12psi made 440ish to the tire...and had flowmasters on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up about 30hp when I unbolted the "Flows"
I currently rock a Pypes system. Loving it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
hellions site reccommends bassani. While i wouldnt say you must use bassani i wouldnt reccommend flowmasters on a turbo car.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I picked up about 30hp when I unbolted the "Flows"
I currently rock a Pypes system. Loving it.
Which pypes system?
Hard to believe that the flows are that bad. 30 hp athe wheels?

I wonder what I was losing with my stock exhaust on my D1SC procharger car. The race pro system makes the car feel alot faster even at part throttle.
Erich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the same info I've heard elsewhere. You'll make good numbers with Flowmasters on, but you can make better power with a different muffler.

Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
hellions site reccommends bassani. While i wouldnt say you must use bassani i wouldnt reccommend flowmasters on a turbo car.
thats because the companies are connected. Turbos like little to no backpressure, so if you want quite you lose a little hp, if you want to maximize hp them get a freeer flowing exhaust. I personally give a little hp to have the car sound the way I like.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
thats because the companies are connected. Turbos like little to no backpressure, so if you want quite you lose a little hp, if you want to maximize hp them get a freeer flowing exhaust. I personally give a little hp to have the car sound the way I like.
That greatly depends on what your definition of "little" means. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want quiet, and straight through design, the Magnaflow SS are the way to go. They're the quietest muffler I've ever had, which I don't like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts