Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the stocker lets go it will be Dart block time! Just wondering how many cubes I should run with my current 67mm turbo? I'd like to make atleast 600-700 to the wheels with my current turbo. Would a 331 be to much motor for the 67mm? Looking for a quick spooling street car. Thoughts?

Precision 67mm
T4 .68 a/r
38mm Tial WG
50mm BOV
3" downpipe

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here is my take...if someone is going to build a motor then build it for max potential and select turbo accordingly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agreed with above.

Build the shortblock around your goals not your turbo. Turbos are cheap compared to your engine.

Build a 363 with another 67mm or a single 88mm. Or just a 302 w/ a single 67

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm asking because I'm really not wanting to change the turbo or upgrade the kit. Just curious as to ho much streetable HP can be made with my current turbo kit I have. Will a 67mm be to small for a 331?

Twin 67's with a 363 is like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight, lol! I said
600-700 HP not 1000HP. This is a Sunday drive street car that will see alot of track time. My #1 goal is to keep the street manners.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No love for a little 331? Seems like anything bigger would be too big for my turbo kit. The 3" down pipe would have to go. What size DP you guys runinng?

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Build the motor once, upgrade the kit later if need be.

A 331 will work fine and make great power, but silly to do in a Dart block when you could run more ci.

Bigger the dp the better, but guys fly on 3". You said you only want 600-700rw, so not going to be a problem!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Yes I have to change my 3"dp on combo below.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I'm asking because I'm really not wanting to change the turbo or upgrade the kit. Just curious as to ho much streetable HP can be made with my current turbo kit I have. Will a 67mm be to small for a 331?

Twin 67's with a 363 is like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight, lol! I said
600-700 HP not 1000HP. This is a Sunday drive street car that will see alot of track time. My #1 goal is to keep the street manners.
We did a few months back dart 331 AFR headed 205's with a precision 67mm If i recall correctly 637 Rwhp pump gas and safe with total timing boost 14-15psi.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Big bore 347 will support plenty of power when you want to up the power down the road. The exhaust side of your 67 will be the limiting factor for you I think on a bigger motor. Run the biggest downpipe you can fit...it will only help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm building a 347, but dont want to lose the street manners everyone complains about with a big turbo, but im also scared to choke the motor and hurt it.

I have an f1/.68 exhaust wheel and a 66mm compressor by turbonetics. PAS, do you know what exhaust wheel was on that 331?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
You need a .96 exhaust on a 347. Even with that you will have high exhaust back pressure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am going to disagree with most of what has been said in here, not that it is wrong but there needs to be explanation.

1) The turbo dictates the HP based on the air it flows. So if your turbo flows enough air to support the power level you want, no need to change the turbo

2) Build the engine to the turbo. If your turbo will flow enough air to support your power goals, you need to build the engine around what the turbo can flow. It wouldnt make and sense or any more power to put a 400cu engine behind a single 67mm turbo with a T4 exhaust housing.

With all of that said, you need to be sure of your power goals. If you are sure you will not want more in the future, then stick with your turbo and build a small displacement engine to match the turbo. If you think you will want more power, you will need to think about those goals, size the turbo and build to that turbo.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I will be going Dart SHP at some point in the future. As you fella's can see in my sig I'm not using the power the car makes now. Once the stock engine let's go I want the peice of mind that comes with a Dart block.

The plan is too build something in the 600-700 range, that works best with my turbo and intercooler. I understand it makes more sense to build more cubes now, but I want to save that for a later date. Money is tight, I still need a fuel system, heads, injectors, intake, etc.... This is why I started this thread because my budget will not allow me to buy a new turbo or any upgrades for my current kit. All my funds will be put torwards the motor, intake, heads, fuel system.

I think a built 331 fits my needs at the moment untill I can afford to go all out!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I am going to disagree with most of what has been said in here, not that it is wrong but there needs to be explanation.

1) The turbo dictates the HP based on the air it flows. So if your turbo flows enough air to support the power level you want, no need to change the turbo

2) Build the engine to the turbo. If your turbo will flow enough air to support your power goals, you need to build the engine around what the turbo can flow. It wouldnt make and sense or any more power to put a 400cu engine behind a single 67mm turbo with a T4 exhaust housing.

With all of that said, you need to be sure of your power goals. If you are sure you will not want more in the future, then stick with your turbo and build a small displacement engine to match the turbo. If you think you will want more power, you will need to think about those goals, size the turbo and build to that turbo.

Good luck
+1 the turbo is heart and soul of the setup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts