Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I can't live without a blower (cough cough) Since I'm just learning about how to get a nice SC set up.. I was wondering what some of the other 4V engine guys were running. What works well, and what doesn't work well? How much is too much on a stock T-45? I've seen prochargers that advertise that they self lubricate, keeping you from having to tap your oil pan. Is this much of an advantage? Is it a pain to change the oil in a super charger of this kind? Also, to anyone's knowledge, is there a kit with a 'roots type' blower out there for '96 Cobras? Thanks for the advice guys.. I know some of you are wizards at tuning in a blown 4.6L!

Oh yeah.. Headers come first.. JBA shorties work well? What else is out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to find a 'kit' (includes fuel pump, larger injectors etc) for under $3,300. Price isn't as important to me as a good set up that won't blow my engine. I've heard of too many stories where blown 4V 4.6L drop a piston or two.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LzredCobra said:
Also, to anyone's knowledge, is there a kit with a 'roots type' blower out there for '96 Cobras?
Kenne Bell makes a twin Screw S/C KIT with all the fixins for the 96-98 Cobra http://www.kennebell.net their site is not really up but their contact info is there. I blieve it makes 5-6 psi, and it is great for low end power. They dont make as much peak HP than the ctrif blowers but the power is on tap anywhere in the RPM range (to 6000RPM) I like the power at the low end and I like to be a little different than everybody else. If/when I do an SC I'll prolly go with their system. Although if I find a great deal on a used cetrif. blower I'll prolly go with it, but if I buy new it'll be the KB twin screw blower. my$.02

Alex

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 96 made 425rwhp and 360rwtq with a Vortech SQ, before a good tune. I never was able to get a tune on it. I'm sure it would've made a little more with a better A/F ratio. Plus a Vortech looks awesome under the hood. Plus you get to keep the stock upper intake with the cobra emblem on it, which IMO looks cool as hell.

I just so happen to be selling my Vortech kit (cough cough) if you would be interested in it....;) :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I run a V-1 S-trim vortech supercharger (one of the original kits for the DOHC 4.6 - bought in the fall of '96 - 9# at 6800 RPM). The S-trim is basically the same as an SQ, just louder.

I just had it dynoed last weekend, 421 RWHP, 340 RWTQ. This is with the stock vortech-supplied chip. The car has had a blower on it all of its life (a whopping 16,000 miles now) and I am the third owner. There are no mechanical problems with the car at this point, but as I said, it only has 16k miles on it.

I didn't personally install the SC, but from what I've read, the oil pan punch procedure isn't all that tough. I am sure there are write-ups out there, and plenty of opinions on this board... do a search.

also check out my website if you want to watch a dyno vid of it... see how loud the WHINE is. :evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts