Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your blower goals for 2018?

Very late start to the 2018 thread. The 2017 thread had decent traction and I'm interested to hear how many of you met your goals and what new goals have been started!

Link to 2017 thread:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/superchargers/2336377-what-your-blower-goals-2017-a.html

Info about mine:
1987 Coupe 5spd
SBE 302, ProComp 190 heads, F303, Weiand 174, e85, custom TBI system controlled by megasquirt.

I'll snag some pics of my car later but it has been running for a while and tuning is going well. Had to use a TBI system because the blower is flanged for a 4150 style carb with no room in the runners for injectors so I built a TBI system. I got it running with Megasquirt 2 using speed density fueling calculations but didn't have the easiest time tuning the thing. I've tuned plenty of sbf's with megasquirt so I didn't think my tuning was the issue. I snagged a GT500 MAF sensor and implemented that in a home built fender well style "cold air" tube, calculated a MAF transfer function, and have been tuning with MAF calculations in MS2 rather than speed density. Since this change, tuning has been much easier and I'm able to drive the car long distances if desired. Doesn't stall, great throttle response, instant boost, and roasts tires. I have a feeling my T5 trans is gonna grenade at some point so I'm waiting for that but until then, awesome fun having an old roots blower on the car.

What are your setups and how are they driving?

·
Registered
123 Posts
01 GT with built Mach1 4V engine, Whipple 3.4L w/Crusher inlet and all the required goodies for max power. In 2016, I made 800+ whp without completing the tune and wrecked the car when I have a motor mount failure. I've spent the last 18 months rebuilding. I added a 3rd 465lph pump and a smaller pulley, rebuilt the rear end with a spool and 3.27 gears, upgraded the suspension, axles, added coilovers and ARB, 10 point cage, and full length, through the floor subframes, and did a bit of weight reduction. I would like to see a very low 9 second time slip in the 1/4 mile with a 150+ mph trap speed.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I met my goals and some. Installed an F1A then an F1A-94 and made 860hp/755tq on 19psi at 6800rpm. Still more in it, but had some tuning and spark issues with the stock ECU, so I pulled that and installed a Pro-M EFI setup and now I'm working through the setup with that slowly but surely. Hope to get this thing running properly this year and see if I can spin this thing a bit harder and break into the 900/800 range. Still debating pulling the blower and running some twins instead, but it's hard for me to make that switch, I love the sound and power delivery of a centri blower.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
01 GT with built Mach1 4V engine, Whipple 3.4L w/Crusher inlet and all the required goodies for max power. In 2016, I made 800+ whp without completing the tune and wrecked the car when I have a motor mount failure. I've spent the last 18 months rebuilding. I added a 3rd 465lph pump and a smaller pulley, rebuilt the rear end with a spool and 3.27 gears, upgraded the suspension, axles, added coilovers and ARB, 10 point cage, and full length, through the floor subframes, and did a bit of weight reduction. I would like to see a very low 9 second time slip in the 1/4 mile with a 150+ mph trap speed.
Nice, is it on racegas or e85?

I met my goals and some. Installed an F1A then an F1A-94 and made 860hp/755tq on 19psi at 6800rpm. Still more in it, but had some tuning and spark issues with the stock ECU, so I pulled that and installed a Pro-M EFI setup and now I'm working through the setup with that slowly but surely. Hope to get this thing running properly this year and see if I can spin this thing a bit harder and break into the 900/800 range. Still debating pulling the blower and running some twins instead, but it's hard for me to make that switch, I love the sound and power delivery of a centri blower.
Cool, I'd be interested in knowing how well the pro-m setup runs that blower/engine combo.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My 2017 goals were attained with the addition of my Kenne Bell 2.1L flowzilla. I'm just running 11psi, nothing earth shattering. I'll get around eventually to installing my ProMeth kit and possibly adding ARP head studs some time this year and another trip to the dyno just for fun.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ordered a Kenne Bell flowzilla from TPS will not arrive until July..

Might go pro-m or pimpxs not 100% sure yet still reading up about them. Was considering installing one of these systems now than retune when kb comes in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Setup which was installed start of the year was a novi 2000 and haltech ecu/crank trigger setup, on a stock gt40p 302 with xe264 cam. Stock exhaust manifolds were killing it(more than expected). So thought I'd start the next round of mods.

On the shelf right now are TFS 170 heads, TFS Box R and Hooker long tubes. Also adding a Treadstone intercooler.
Reason for the cooler is I want to pulley the novi down a few sizes, and add a wastegate to control max boost. Aiming for 500rwhp but seeing how far I can bring the curve to the left with the wastegate. Should be interesting. I already have a snow meth kit also.
Should put it all together in a couple months.

Current setup

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a feeling my T5 trans is gonna grenade at some point so I'm waiting for that but until then, awesome fun having an old roots blower on the car.
I'm going through the same thought process right now. Trying to decide whether to go a built auto or a t56/tko route

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I just moved from the Seattle area to Maine. I doubt that I will get the car out this year. We just got out here and today just started house shopping. I have a firm job offer, but am waiting for a response from two other potential employers. The racecar was in the middle of a re-do of several systems, and I had to stop and get the car ready to transport across the country. So for now it resides in the trailer until we can get into a house that meets out requirements. For me the number one thing is the garage area, and for the little woman it is the kitchen. So once we get into a house, then I can start finishing all of the stuff I was in the middle of re-freshing/updating, and I just do not see how that gets done this year.
I am looking forward to hitting some tracks here on the east coast, Epping is relatively close. Atco will be about 500 miles away and may not be a track I can do for a weekend. There are 3 tracks in Maine, two 1/8 mile mom and pop affairs, and one 1/4 mile place that I guess was just put back into commission. So I do have some local stuff I can hit. Time will tell.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Getting the sucker tuned for once and for all.
It's been 5 years since I put the Procharger on. I've never gotten it tuned, only running.

So I'm having Decipha tuning it now because I finally (5 years later...) realised that I will not be able to tune it.

Hopefully the engine doesn't come crashing down on me and I will be able to enjoy many many burnouts with it.
Other goal is just lower the car a bunch, get chinese tires on it and just slay them. Slay them bad! It's just going to be a burnout machine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok, to add to my previous post, MORE BOOST.
Made my first WOT run yesterday, 5psi...
That ain't gonna cut it!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2017 goals were attained with the addition of my Kenne Bell 2.1L flowzilla. I'm just running 11psi, nothing earth shattering. I'll get around eventually to installing my ProMeth kit and possibly adding ARP head studs some time this year and another trip to the dyno just for fun.
Did you already get some power numbers with this setup? I've always been interested in those kenne bell kits.

Ordered a Kenne Bell flowzilla from TPS will not arrive until July..

Might go pro-m or pimpxs not 100% sure yet still reading up about them. Was considering installing one of these systems now than retune when kb comes in.
I will say it'd be much easier/safer to tune an N/A car then add boost rather than tuning a twin screw car. They make boost so easily that it can sometimes cause quick damage if you're not overly careful. I'm a megasquirt user so I have that preference but I hear good things about pro-M. Very different pricing between the two.

Setup which was installed start of the year was a novi 2000 and haltech ecu/crank trigger setup, on a stock gt40p 302 with xe264 cam. Stock exhaust manifolds were killing it(more than expected). So thought I'd start the next round of mods.

On the shelf right now are TFS 170 heads, TFS Box R and Hooker long tubes. Also adding a Treadstone intercooler.
Reason for the cooler is I want to pulley the novi down a few sizes, and add a wastegate to control max boost. Aiming for 500rwhp but seeing how far I can bring the curve to the left with the wastegate. Should be interesting. I already have a snow meth kit also.
Should put it all together in a couple months.
I feel like 500 shouldn't be hard with the new top end parts. Pump gas car right?

I'm going through the same thought process right now. Trying to decide whether to go a built auto or a t56/tko route
Man my turbo car is a built auto and it's honestly much nicer to drive (especially with a turbo) but this car is already set up with a T5 so I'll just keep sendin t5's to hell with it. I'm tuning it pretty soft and I'm not trying to cut quick 60' times so it should live a little while I hope.

I just moved from the Seattle area to Maine. I doubt that I will get the car out this year. We just got out here and today just started house shopping. I have a firm job offer, but am waiting for a response from two other potential employers. The racecar was in the middle of a re-do of several systems, and I had to stop and get the car ready to transport across the country. So for now it resides in the trailer until we can get into a house that meets out requirements. For me the number one thing is the garage area, and for the little woman it is the kitchen. So once we get into a house, then I can start finishing all of the stuff I was in the middle of re-freshing/updating, and I just do not see how that gets done this year.
I am looking forward to hitting some tracks here on the east coast, Epping is relatively close. Atco will be about 500 miles away and may not be a track I can do for a weekend. There are 3 tracks in Maine, two 1/8 mile mom and pop affairs, and one 1/4 mile place that I guess was just put back into commission. So I do have some local stuff I can hit. Time will tell.
Me and my wife are the same. She's letting me have a 4500sqft shop as long as her kitchen is professional grade. lol Hopefully your tracks are decent. We have quite a few down here in Texas so I'm probably spoiled.

e85 is my fuel of choice.
Nice! I run e85 on both of my foxes and love it.

Ok, to add to my previous post, MORE BOOST.
Made my first WOT run yesterday, 5psi...
That ain't gonna cut it!
Lol is that 5psi near redline, or did you get out of the throttle early?

On a side note:
I swear my roots blower car is like an on-off switch. Boost needle pretty much moves proportionally to my gas pedal. It's like the needle hits full boost before I can even get the pedal to the floor. lol I imagine a twin screw is even quicker somehow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lol is that 5psi near redline, or did you get out of the throttle early?

On a side note:
I swear my roots blower car is like an on-off switch. Boost needle pretty much moves proportionally to my gas pedal. It's like the needle hits full boost before I can even get the pedal to the floor. lol I imagine a twin screw is even quicker somehow.
5psi at redline...
But I have a smaller pulley that if I remember correctly put me at 16psi at the moment I blew the headgasket :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5psi at redline...
But I have a smaller pulley that if I remember correctly put me at 16psi at the moment I blew the headgasket :)
Geeze, you need something in between. lol or a wastegate on the intake tube that will bleed off anything above a specific set-point. if you have a 16psi pulley, you could probably bleed off anything above 10 and it'd build 10 pretty quick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did you already get some power numbers with this setup? I've always been interested in those kenne bell kits.
Last summer I hit the dyno and the best pull hit 385rwhp. That was at 11psi and about 26* timing. We backed it down to 24* total and it put down 365rwhp and that's where we kept it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I will say it'd be much easier/safer to tune an N/A car then add boost rather than tuning a twin screw car. They make boost so easily that it can sometimes cause quick damage if you're not overly careful. I'm a megasquirt user so I have that preference but I hear good things about pro-M. Very different pricing between the two.
Very true about the pricing. I'll also save quite a bit not buying a mass air.

I also believe installing it N/A is my best bet too than I can familiarize myself with the system. I'll have to call and see how much stinger performance charges for a base tune after blower install. There is a dyno shop about 1.5 hours away from me that deals with megasquirt too. Plan on taking it to him for a once over too after I'm close.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very true about the pricing. I'll also save quite a bit not buying a mass air.

I also believe installing it N/A is my best bet too than I can familiarize myself with the system. I'll have to call and see how much stinger performance charges for a base tune after blower install. There is a dyno shop about 1.5 hours away from me that deals with megasquirt too. Plan on taking it to him for a once over too after I'm close.
I agree here also to a certaint extent. I added the Haltech and novi at the same time, but I didn't change heads/exhaust/intake and kept what I had, as this gave me a base to tune from. I knew how it ran before, so if there was any dramas I could just take the belt of the novi and trouble shoot. If you do too much at once, trouble shooting, especially electrical mistakes, is a huge pain as I'm sure you know.
Now that I have it running awesome, I will add the rest. Some people might scoff, but when you do most of it at home, you don't want to end up with low moral cause you can't get things running right.

To add, getting rid of the maf with the haltech is the best thing I've done. Tuning with the map sensor is awesome with a forced induction setup.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts