Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this year going to be a big ford borefest or what? I remember the good old days when a bunch of us enjoyed staying 3 days at fun ford weekend but is gets more boring every year. What ever happened to the party and dj showing up like the one year. I do not see much excitement on here about who is going. Is anyone going this year or will they have to allow chevys in to get enough racers to hold the event? Maybe us corrallers can help bring life back to the event.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I took vacation this week to run the wednesday program as well as the fords at the summit event. It looks like mother nature isn't going to play nice though. I know what you mean, it used to be a great time running at funford.

·
Registered
491 Posts
know what you mean....

I've heard the ford race at national trails in the fall is pretty wild....

·
Registered
825 Posts
know what you mean....

Trails and NMRA is like trying to shove 10lbs of poo into a 2lb box. Trails lacks the staff and when you combine the original ford weekend there with the NMRA trying to run there stuff off it is just to much

·
Registered
826 Posts
I thought fun ford quit having events this year. I read articles about it and their website isn't there anymore. I had fun last year at bristol and was looking forward to go again but I think they stopped having them.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The track is putting on something called Fords at the Summit or something like that. I heard they have a bunch of classes, but left out a true street type event.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
know what you mean....

I was at national trail last fall..it sucked, only got one test pass each day there, and they combined classes letting cars from one class to race in others, but not vice versa (Y-block cars in street class...but no street class in Y-block...etc) Kinda strange, and if you were not NMRA they forgot who you were. I was at norwalk last year also...made it to the semi final, so it didn't suck as bad. Plus not to crazy for kids. I'm pulling out after work tomorrow to get to norwalk, hopefully in time to make the gamblers race. But oh well, if you're on the track it can't be that bad. lol.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Trails and NMRA is like trying to shove 10lbs of poo into a 2lb box. Trails lacks the staff and when you combine the original ford weekend there with the NMRA trying to run there stuff off it is just to much
Ditto X 10!!! I'd like to see them split it back up into an NMRA/NMCA event one weekend and the Ford Expo on another weekend. The majority of attendees (the NON NMRA class cars) get the short end of the stick.

Good luck up at Norwalk dy85merc, might see you up there saturday or sunday. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Just got back from Norwalk, this is by far the best "racing" show I've been to in a while. It was split into 4 classes and everyone ran the same amount. Pretty cool, the downside for me was I only won one round all weekend...lol. I was looking good on my time trial, ran a 12.37 and a 12.38. After the 12.38 pass when I was slowing down something strange happened to the tranny, after that I was a duck out of water. Went out in first round and missed fourth gear, yeah that's right...fourth gear. lol. Tranny wouldn't let me get it, but oh well...it was just a matter of time. Still a good time though.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So did they have a general weekend setup like FFW, with show cars, swap meet, several racing classes, manufacturers midway etc?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
So did they have a general weekend setup like FFW, with show cars, swap meet, several racing classes, manufacturers midway etc?
Yes, kinda. A small swap meet, descent car show, hardly any manufacturers midway...maybe 5 or 6 vendors. There were 4 bracket classes...super pro (electronics), pro...(no electronics), nostalgia and DOT class. The racing was pretty good, made a pass about every hour and a half, which was pretty good...more than normal, and way better than NMRA events. Still will run those events also. I will race any chance I get. lol.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry so long!

IMO, this was a very good event to hit up, especially for this being the first one. Even with the rain on Saturday (and threatening Fri and Sun) the lanes were always full.

I got 8 runs in (1 Fri, 1 Sun and 6 on Sat [2 quals and 4 rounds] before I lit the big red bulb with a -.002)
I was too good for my own good on the tree, of the 8 runs I had (2) +.00x, (1) -.00x and (4) .0x lights.

Our First pass on Fri (we got in later than planned) was with the blower and I went [email protected] then backed that up on Sat morning with a [email protected] (the car was all over the place all weekend) but we had no 3rd or 4th gear pull. This is a Pro Charger D1 that we got off the corral and cant get it figured out fast enough. We took the belt off and went back to the bottle (150 shot), then started messing with the carb a little. We went 11.01, 10.92, 10.88 then [email protected] (personal best ever)
Sunday morning we woke up, got the bottle filled and got ready for our 1 qual before eliminations. I think thats when I hurt/broke the trans. 3rd gear wondered off somewhere on this pass so I aborted the run and wrote it off as being slightly hungover and not on my A game just yet. I should have known better because this tranny didnt "miss" gears Pro shifted/faceplated tko), but I dialed in at a 10.60 and kinda hoped I would break out . The track held, we put almost a 10th on the 60ft from our 10.6 run, front tire(s) skipping through the 1-2 shift and the ol girl was digging in on what has been by far the strongest feeling on take off, I went to hit the 2-3 and the tranny was locked in 2nd and I ended up cruising to a 18.4 at 42 lol. Oh well, get her fixed and come back out next time...

My budy Erick has an 01 Lightning and we couldnt find any unleaded race gas (103-108) so he had to run his truck in street tune. He ripped off quite a few 12.1s with his best being a [email protected] and a 1.67 60ft. He redlit first round on Sat (3 years in a row at a Norwalk event) and ended up going 2 rounds on Sunday before he broke out (.11 on a .12).

His GF/my SIL Shanda went 2 rounds on Saturday in a mostly stock 95 Lightning before she lit the red bulb (she had the 15.1s locked in all weekend) and 3 rounds on Sunday before she snoozed on the tree and lost.

Ericks daughter(s) flew into town for the event and his Youngest daughter won the papers/scissors/rocks competition to race my truck (STOCK 98 F150 FS/5.4/auto). Mariah went 3 rounds on Saturday and broke out with a 16.49 on a 16.50. Sunday she came back on her A game and made it to the semi finals before she broke out. They were running round robin and the truck kept slowing down and getting warmer. Before the last run we popped the hood in the staging lanes and thats were WE messed up lol. She ripped off a 16.34 out of NOWHERE (the best to date with the truck had been a 16.48) and broke out. I would say not bad at all for a 17 year old thats first pass down the track EVER was Friday night!

Overall there were more stories from FFW and definately more classes but IMO like I mentioned above this was a good attempt at what could be a very good event in the future. We all ran alot and we all ran personal bests in respects to vehicles/tunes. We will be back again next year hopefully with more people

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Anybody see a '95 mustang ( tubbed car) blow it's rearend all over the starting line? um like twice I think.
Yeah, I seen him dump it once...what a mess. lol. Bummer for him though, can't knock a guy for trying. Hey NosDog3, was that girl in a red F150, I seen her. I ran against her in the time trials, she was doing a great job. My cousin made it to the finals in DOT on saturday (red 01 GT), A bad reaction time cost him...but $200 and a trophy was pretty sweet. He had one run with a .001 R/T and a 13.641 on a 13.64 dial-in...with a 5 speed. I had a blast there.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
"Anybody see a '95 mustang ( tubbed car) blow it's rearend all over the starting line?'

I saw it too. Felt bad for him, he spent some money on that pass.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yeah she was in my "likening" lol. We all had a blast, and congrats to your cousin!
We should get together next time, we had a huge gang of people in our spot. We all had a blast, big cookouts and games. I think I'm going to put a car together for my wife. She said she's tired of just watching me, I guess she wants to outrun me. lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I too was there with my 90 GT. Blue with a Black unpainted Boss hood. Just made the Friday gamblers race, went 3 rounds and just missed the money, All that with NO time trial. Then Saturday, I made the first round of money, but had troubles down the track. Sunday I went 008 red and after moving my seat, I missed 2nd gear :(, but I think I found a problem in my suspension.

I'm planning on going to the 10K nationals instead of the Ford race at National Trail. Not that I wouldn't love to go down there, but the money is so much better at the 10K race. haha. Would love to find a crew to travel around with to all the races.

Norwalk has always had one of the best tracks as well as one of the best run facilities. You always know what class you follow unlike other tracks (QC). I think though the car count was a little low (probably due to our great economy) the event was awesome. We did get pleanty of rounds in and they worked around the weather and had the track ready as quickly as they could. And the track surface was good every time.

I will always go to Norwalk for this even as it is one of the best events at one of the best tracks around. If you missed it, you missed a good one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts