Ford Mustang Forums banner

Went to the track last night and sucked!

1K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Len Schmidt 
#1 ·
I went to the track last night, it was the local tracks last midnight mania thing. It was only my second time at the track with my stang. I dont know why but for some reason they had the tree set for instant green, which sucked and I need some more practice too.

Here are some of my times

R/T - 1.009
60' - 2.588
330 - 6.538
1/8 - 9.660
MPH - 79.28
1000 - 12.293
1/4 - 14.478
MPH - 104.15

R/T - .995
60' - 2.497
330 - 6.464
1/8 - 9.588
MPH - 79.04
1000 - 12.232
1/4 - 14.425
MPH - 103.12

R/T - .692
60' - 2.207
330 - 6.476
1/8 - 9.675
MPH - 77.45
1000 - 12.355
1/4 - 14.567
MPH - 102.46

I had no traction all night, I was running 235/60/15 BFG Radial T/As.

As soon as I get some cash Im going to get some 275/60/15 Nitto Drag Radials

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy Toledo, I was expecting a minor bolt on N/A combo and the first word I see in your sig is Vortech.
What did it run the first time you went?
I'd figure a completely stock motor with 5psi of boost should net low 13's high 12's. With your mods I'd figure a bit quicker, maybe low 12's. Are you sure traction is your only problem? You're a good 2 1/2 seconds off where you should be.

#3 ·
Yeah I know I sucked its only my second time at the strip with my stang and a stick. The first time i went to the track my best was a 13.5 a cant remember the mph but I was also spinning bad that run too. I know my car can run mid to low 12 the guy who owned it before my ran low 12s with slicks on it. One of the reasons I think it was so bad is because it was a street car type thing at the track, so it wasn't prepped very well, because the first time I went was to a test and tune which was prepped better because I didnt spin near as much as I did last night.

There is another test and tune this next weekend that I'm going to try and go to and hopefully run some better times! Practice practice practice I think will help me alot.

#4 ·
First of all, put some sticky tires on that car ASAP. Also, have you had the car dynoed because your traps also seem very low. I would think you should easily trap 110mph if not better with that combo depending on how much power your making. Where do you shift it at?

#6 ·
Try shifting it around 5600 - 5700 rpm, with your setup I think that would work better.
Len

#7 ·
I agree.....experiment with different shift points. I personally think that 6000rpms might be a bit high for a stock E7 headed car. Try around 5500rpms or so and see if that works and just play with it from there to find the right spot.

#8 ·
I'd think your trap speed is enough to run low 13's with traction.

Still something is wrong because you should be faster than that.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, Ill try shifting around 5500 - 5700 and see what happens

My cars also running rich, could that have something do with my slow times?
When I would let off or just cruising it smelled alittle like gas. So I took a look at my vacuum line going to my fpr and it smelled like gas, so I think I have a torn diaphram in my reg. Im pretty sure its still the stock one too!
So today I ordered a new Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and some other misc stuff from summit. (plugs and wires)

Thanks Todd

#10 ·
What is your timing at? I'm thinking you could use more.

#11 ·
Stay away from those nittos man... If you want drag radials go with mickey thompson's for the street. Or just go with some 26x8.5 slicks. That'll solve your spinning for sure.

#13 ·
Why stay away from nittos? Just wondering, I have just been looking a nittos because they are the cheapest ($136) and Ive heard they hook pretty well and dont wear to fast on the street. Then bfg is the mid price ($157) and then M/T is the most ($170).

How fast do the second 2 wear on the street?

Is there any modifications needed to fit a 275/60/15 on my stang?

What is your timing at? I'm thinking you could use more.
Im pretty sure my set at 10 degrees before TDC, Ill see if I can borrow my friends timimg light this weekend, what should I try setting to?

#12 ·
Hmmm.....Got a buddy w/ almost the same set up as you except he has got 3.90's instead of 4.10's.

During a track rental day he ran 11.9x's 19 times. He had slicks also.

I had to add the 19 times coz I thought it was funny. Like the Energizer bunny, keeps going and going and going......

#14 ·
how were you launching? What was the psi in the tires and how did you do the burnout? Is the diff in good shape or are you spinning one tire? You should be able to cut way better 60fts with the tire you currently have.

#15 ·
I was launching off idle, most of the time, but I also tried different rpms up to around 2000rpm. Usually when I would launch close to 2000 I would spin. I started around 25psi, and ended up at 18psi when the night was over after I tried lower pressure to see if it would help me. I just did a little burnout just until I saw smoke coming off my tires.

#20 ·
If your game for a drive Cordova has the Buick Olds Pontiac event this Saturday. We will be there with our project Coupe if you want to come. You can toss by Drag-lites on your car with 26/10.5 ET streets. Track shoud be awsome as well.

#21 ·
Ike: Definitly forget the Nittos... Had 3 friend's of mine with them on and they could never hook. Just my opinion man. MT's are the best on the market in my experience.

#24 ·
Oh for sure, you maybe able to go up to 20 - 24, I have. Your leaving a lot on the plate at 10. I run 16 on pump gas and 18 at the track now and that's with 15 psi from the blower. Every car seems different so that's why I say start at 16 and work up.
Len

#25 ·
Well with the timing you have to figure that the stock computer is going spin out 16 degrees on top of initial. At 16* initial timing your at 32* total. I would say that it rather excessive for even 5#s of boost. Where you have it now at 10* is going to net you 26* total which I think is a pretty good place to be for only pump gas.

Now if you have a BTM box you can set initial higher and pull timing as needed. Personally I would pull your spout and lock your timing at about 23-24* and move it up or down from there. Not the best for low RPM response on the street but that not really and issue at the track.

#26 ·
Oh, me bad. I didn't see he has a blower. I'd just start at 12 base and work up then. Or you can do as sukkoi18 says, may work best.

#27 ·
Thanks for your help guys, I try some different things the next time I go to the track and see what happens.

I got my fuel pressure regulator, Taylor wires and NGK plugs today, I will be installing them tomorrow so hopefully my stang's rich situation will disappear

#32 ·
Installed my plugs wires and regulator, it runs a lot better and smoother. I also found something else that was hurting me besides my regulator, #3 cylinder spark plug wasn't firing, the plug ground electrode (previous owner had e3 plugs in it) was all rusty and I looked at the plug wire and there was a tiny crack by the boot, so I think I was only running on 7 cylinders.

#33 ·
Well that will be a full second slower with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.