Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my maiden voyage to E-town yesterday. Here's what I'm running...

89 coupe, 3,250 lbs. 460 RWHP.
- Baseline upper control arms
- Pro3i Lowers
- Strange adjustable struts and shocks (set at #2)
- Stock rear springs
- Team Z K member
- 250 lb/in coil over front springs
- 235/60/15 MT drag radials (15 psi)
- 3:73 gears
-G force T5 (2:95 1st)

I ran 3 runs (missed 3rd on the first one) so here are my 2 best.

-run#1
60'- 1.87
1/4- 11.90
MPH- 121.02

-Run #2
60'- 2.02
1/4- 12.04
MPH- 121.4

So obviously, my 60 ft sucks, and my ET is slacking as a result. That much I know. I was spinning pretty bad off the line. The 235 width isn't doing me any favors. I thought that the MPH was a bit low for my HP. I was hoping for mid 120's. I'm gonna get some slicks mounted soon. What do you think of my MPH?

I'm also sure that my front springs are not helping with weight transfer, but it's a street based car, and they're staying. Any input you guys may have would be great. Sorry if I forgot any info...let me know...Jim

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lose some weight on that coupe that thing will fly! The car is 3250 with you or without?
The mph is def worth low 11, or high 10.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
my coupe weighs 3300 with my fat ass in it,i make about 40 more ponies @ the wheel and i've been 10.76 @ 126 so yea lol you have ALOT more left in it just keep chipping away at it man,my 2 cents i'd say its all in your 60...i know its a broken record you keep hearing lol but i'd be doing some tweeking on the susp

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
btw get rid of those little ##### tires lol and put some 28/10.50 m/t on that thing, i'd also step up to a 4.10 if ot was me,i reread what you posted those tires ARE def your prob

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not bad.....mph should probably be a bit higher. My car made 460rwhp and has gone 120.6mph and weighs over 3500lbs. so yours should probably pick up a bit. I wouldn't worry about it much though for the first time out. It always takes a little time to get things dialed in. I know this because my car is still not dialed in lol

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good feedback...I wasn't as concerned with the ET because I know it's the 60 ft that's killing it, and I'm pretty sure it's the tires that are killing my 60ft.

BTW, the 3,250 is weight with me in it (I'm 230). I gotta figure out how to get that MPH up to about 125 or so!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm still dialing mine in as well, looking for traction. Your MPH has 10's written all over it. I've been running in the 11.20's-30's at 119mph, 3100 lb with me in it, spinning like crazy.

Tires will help, but although you said they are staying, those #250 coilovers are probably killing you. Doesn't it ride like a board with those things? I think the norm for a street/strip car is #175 to #200.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
#250 springs! are you road racing? Those are ridiculous! At the maximum, I would only run a #175 at that weight, #150 would be better. We run our 408 GT on the street every day with the 150's. To each their own, but don't bitch about your 60' times when you have road race springs on your car.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
MY car last year went 121.6mph with 465rwhp @ 3360lbs. Your MPH isnt that far off. MPH can change +/- 1.5 with wind speed of a mere 5mph, or a change in weather (DA).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
MPH means alot, E.T. well it can improve. Not to bad and once you hook and transfer I can see 125s or more. Also 3,250 seems heavy even with you being 230 , If you have K -member, coil overs,etc doesnt make since your car weighting that much, sure you dont weight more lol? jk btw! Nice runs, get some tires bro.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments...I'm not "bitching" about my 60 ft. My car is 99% street driven and as such, I picked a front spring that was basically the equivalent of the stock spring. I'm not opposed to experimenting with a lighter front spring though. As far as weight, I think 3,000 lbs without me in it is reasonable. It has a full interior and 8 point roll bar, as well as a 351 based stroker, so I think I'm in the ballpark. Although I have been eating alot of junk food lately so maybe you're right Nutzz!

StangRC, yup, I'm the guy who got your tailpipes. They look good too. Here's a few shots.

I'm really happy with the way the car turned out..it's been a 3 year project/money pit. Now it's time to start thrashing it! I'll let you all know how much she improves with some real slicks on the back....Jim K

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Wow very impressive!! That mustang looks CLEAN. Very nice.. im with the other guy just drive that sweet lookin thing. Oh BTW I was kidding bout the weight bro..I been snacking away to might need some news jeans soon. Good luck

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Nice ride man! Makes me wonder what my car makes to the tires....I've gone 11.30 at 126 at 3200 lbs....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts