Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got back to the strip again to see if I could improve from last time, as it wouldn't take much. :blam:

It got better, but the top end still isn't there!! Moved shift points around and didn't change anything. Gonna check next week for a possible blocked intercooler?? I'm not smelling any clutch, and don't think I've developed a leak.

Anyhow, here's a breakdown of the best pass of the night.
Two Step was at 3500 RPM, E/T streets, 3.27 gear

60'- 1.715
330'- 4.977
1/8 et- 7.642
1/8 mph- 93.00
1/4 et. - 11.896
1/4 mph.- 114.15

All runs were fairly close. 1/8 mph was always around 93-95 mph, but end trap was only 114-115.

Stupid car. Something is up, but not smelling clutch. Nothing has changed since the tune. Wondering if the intercooler isn't possibly partially blocked? I did buy the kit used, and that is one of the few things that I haven't checked.

Will

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm trapping 118 mph but with only a 12.08 E/T. I'm running a 3:55 gear, but not for long. Apparently I learned I'm a ####y driver even though I've never missed a gear.

60' 1.85
330' 5.21
1/8 7.89
1/8 mph 91.67
1/4 12.08
1/4 mph 117.96

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This kinda power definately takes some time to learn how to drive it. I did find out that when I'm hitting second it's really breaking loose, even with the E/T streets. I knew it was spinning some, but not to the extent that my buddy was telling me it was. So that's not helping, lol. It's still all stock suspension besides H&R lowering springs (not helping things) and removing the front sway bar.

Will

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Your missing alot of power somewhere.... especially in the top end.
Stick or auto?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stick car, t-56. I'm not powershifting, but not being lazy either. I'm gonna double check next week for boost leaks, and pull the cooler off and see if I can see anything with the boroscope. It was a used kit, so who knows.

All I know is something is up, and it's going to end up being something stupid, lol.

Will

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
With the power your making, you should easily trap over 125 mph.

I made 505 rwhp & 467 rwtq and trapped 128mph and 99 mph in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what was your 60 ft and 1/8 et?

I know I'm still leaving a good bit on the table in the first half traction and suspension wise, but not 10mph on the back half, lol.

It's always something I guess. Can't expect it to run perfect out of the gates.

Will

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
1.51 and I believe a 7.0

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you read his time slips you will see he is not lacking power on the top end . He is picking up 31 mph in the back half which is very good. The problem with your car is the first 1/8 mile. Why are you only leaving the line at 3500 rpm? You need to get that turbo spinning. Are you having traction issues? Set your 2 step at 5000 let that thing rip. JMO

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If you read his time slips you will see he is not lacking power on the top end . He is picking up 31 mph in the back half which is very good. The problem with your car is the first 1/8 mile. Why are you only leaving the line at 3500 rpm? You need to get that turbo spinning. Are you having traction issues? Set your 2 step at 5000 let that thing rip. JMO
He's only picking up 21mph on the back-half....so something sounds awry.

Teal94GT50, your not shifting into 5th are you?

What clutch are you running? Ignition? What's your spark gap at? Any clue to your AFR's on the big end?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If i was picking up 31 I'd be :joy: lol.

Nope, stays in 4th gear. 3.27 rear gears

It's a spec stage 2 which I know isn't rated for this type of power. I do not smell any clutch though, and I'm not noticing extra revs at the top end.

MSD Digital 6, autolite 3923's gapped at .028

AFR's are running right at 11.4 to 11.8 on the wideband.

I did take the bumper off and found a few boost leaks where clamps had worked a little loose, but I can't see that causing that much of a loss on top end?

I did talk to some people who were watching, and they said it was completely breaking the E/T streets loose in second. I did feel some tire spin, but I still can't see that slowing me down THAT much either, but who knows

Today I corrected re-did the clamps, and I'll go back again friday to try it again.

Will

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well you would drop a little ET if you were hazing in 2nd but mph shouldn't suffer much if any. Perhaps the small boost leaks you found will make a difference, a buddy of mine had a vacuum line come off and that cost him several psi.

Have you noticed boost loss on top?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
He's only picking up 21mph on the back-half....so something sounds awry.

Teal94GT50, your not shifting into 5th are you?

What clutch are you running? Ignition? What's your spark gap at? Any clue to your AFR's on the big end?
lol what the hell was I reading? Maybe a few more beers and I will add it up again....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is the car getting enough fuel?

I had a setup in the past that would get 99mph in the 1/8th and only 121 in the 1/4. The car wasn't getting enough fuel and the wideband wasn't leaning out.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Where does your motor make it's highest boost (what rpm)? Looks like it would like more gear as your probably not really into full boost once you reach high gear. You didn't say your tire height, but at your stated mph, your only trapping in the 4400 to 4800 rpm range with a 28 to 26" tire.

as stated above, more rpm at launch will help, and may get the car to react and hook better.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have, or had a very similar problem, I dyno'd the car a few weeks ago, and it made 500+whp. Took it to the track the other day, and 60fts were good for mostly stock suspension (1.70), 8th was 94-95mph, but best run of the night was a [email protected] The following run, the clutch gave up the ghost.....Seemed as though it was only slipping in high gear....

Needless to say, I'm putting the 26 spline in my t56, and upgrading to a centerforce DFX, and aluminum flywheel as of last night at 1:30am....lol. couldn't sleep..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started a new thread in the turbocharger forum, as we went back this last friday night after I corrected a few boost leaks, and added two degrees of timing. Ran the exact same times in the 1/4 :mad:

Were you smelling any clutch slip? It's a spec stage 2, and I haven't smelled anything at all. I would think I'd get at least a whiff of it?

I'm going to try changing plugs, wires, and fuel filter as it's due for it anyhow.

The wideband is showing good A/F at the top of the run. Right around 11.8's

Here's a copy of the dyno tune

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm not sure where you are shifting it but looks to me like you should shift at 5000 rpm or a little lower.
Len

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think your are going to find out that the 5 speed with a turbo is difficult to get going. Atleast for me it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts