Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never ran screws in 26" so I mounted 28" without screws and now car pulls hard to the right right after launch. left rim spun in tire (almost 360 degrees) in two runs. is this causing me to pull so hard to the right? never had any problem before. I am ordering wheel screws, will this correct my problem? car is high 10 car with trans brake leaving at 4000.

·
Registered
190 Posts
never ran screws in 26" so I mounted 28" without screws and now car pulls hard to the right right after launch. left rim spun in tire (almost 360 degrees) in two runs. is this causing me to pull so hard to the right? never had any problem before. I am ordering wheel screws, will this correct my problem? car is high 10 car with trans brake leaving at 4000.
Yup! Did the same thing last nite! The wheels were taking turns slippin on the tires on each pass.. Sometimes id lose 5 lbs of air at the same time.. Makes for 1 heill of a launch! Dont go again till you screw em in.. Then start over.. My 26" to 28" swap lead to a different gear ratio that robbed me of overall ET because it took a tad longer for my RPM's to come up in each gear.. 28" Was not a good tire size for me.. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought it would cause car to pull so hard, almost went into other lane, I went to 28" because I was running out of gear at 1000 ft. did you car pull hard also when rim spun?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeh i would consider a 10"wide rim if ur running a 28 but if u dont wanna spend the money i would suggest to get inner tubes and screw them but u wanna watch on the top end a 28 is a lil big for a 8inch wide rim in can get squirrely at the big end!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Basically what i am saying is a 28 would sit flush on a 10" rim and not buldge out from the sides so it would sit flatter on the pavement more tread to the ground i believe the 28 is still wider then a 26"! MAKE SENSE??

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes the 28x10s are wider than the 26x 10.5 et streets. but I had plenty of traction, but I think when one rim spun it caused the hard pull. it was fine on the big end it pulled before 60".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would the rim spining in rim cause that hard of a pull or should I be looking at something els. the tires are the only thing I changed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
would the rim spining in rim cause that hard of a pull or should I be looking at something els. the tires are the only thing I changed.
Yes it could indeed.. If you were really hookin up well & one rim is slipping 6" or whatever & the other doesnt then yes, that can cause a hard pull one way or the other.. Normally the tire right behind the driver slips first & the passanger side does not.. Thats because of the axle "planting" harder on the driver side by like 2 to 1 or more.. Everyone thinks its the passanger side that plants harder because of the body roll but they'd be wrong.. Its really amazing how often this happens to people & they never even know it! You should always mark your tires before going drag racing if your not using screws so you can monitor them after each pass.. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
A lot of things can come into play by changing your tire! Easiest way to fix it would be to get inner tubes and screw them down!

The 28"inch tire is obviously taller and has a bigger sidewall and tread and more to grab to the ground so your car is gonna unload differently than with a 26" tall tire!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get some baby powder for the inside of the tires for the tubes.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Something else to check is the runout of your slicks. Take a tire tape and measure the runout of BOTH slicks and compare. If one tire's runout is more than three quarter inch bigger/smaller than the other, it will cause exactly what you describe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts