Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if the headache of Ups losing my cam wasn’t bad enough yesterday someone in a different state used my card and emptied my account. I caught it lastnight and I’m working with the bank and have a police report filed. Hoping this investigation goes smoothly. Check your accounts people. And always go inside to pay for gas.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
thieves need to be executed in the most vile manner possible. perhaps their victims should get five minutes to beat the hell out of them with a baseball bat............

or perhaps their victims can use a small caliber weapon and shoot the thieves in non vital body parts, knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, etc. ...........

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RBOhm I’m in agreement with you. Esp since I’ve bewn watching the Punisher on Netflix haha. However, nothing I can do. I’ve already taken the steps needed to fix the situation it’s just a waiting game at this point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They won't even execute wack jobs like this kid in Florida or the Olympic doctor. I'm all for a fair trial when there are unknowns, but if you confess or get caught red-handed...POW!

Best of luck getting things straighened out.

PS: You never enter your PIN number at a gas pump. Run it as a credit card and use your zip code.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I stopped using my debit card for anything but ATM visits many years ago to avoid this kind of problem. Use my 1.5% cash back on all purchases CC for everything and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t mind using my debit card inside if gas station and big places. But I will not use it to purchase gas at a pump anymore unless it’s ina very lit area or a 24hr gas starion. I’ll prob try to get a cc and use it for gas.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Well you're a fool for using a debit card for anything. Credit cards have better rewards and you would never have this problem with a credit card. I've had a credit card compromised twice. It's usually a call saying "Did you just spend $6 at a post office in CA" or "Did you just spend $800 at a best buy in GA?" NO! "Ok, we'll drop the charge and have a new card shipped right out to you." No police report, no hassle (other than updating paypal/amazon/etc with the new card info), and no worries.

·
Administrator
53,593 Posts
Well you're a fool for using a debit card for anything. Credit cards have better rewards and you would never have this problem with a credit card. I've had a credit card compromised twice. It's usually a call saying "Did you just spend $6 at a post office in CA" or "Did you just spend $800 at a best buy in GA?" NO! "Ok, we'll drop the charge and have a new card shipped right out to you." No police report, no hassle (other than updating paypal/amazon/etc with the new card info), and no worries.
Even better still is to make use of commonly available technology that sends instant alerts to your phone that show any charge made at the instant of sale, so you can stop fraud dead in it's tracks before it gets out of hand. "Card Valet" is very good, and works with most major banks and CC providers. When the clerk asks "Do you want a receipt?" you can usually hold up the phone as the words leave their lips and show them the charge amount and name of the merchant. If there's a charge that you do not recognize or approve of, you can take instant action. You can also turn the cards on and off at your will, or limit the area, for example if you aren't traveling, you can set a mileage radious from your zip code and any charge from outside those limits is automatically declined. Capitol One and Chase both also have apps that help you combat fraud...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
debit cards also work like that. I have had the bank call a few times regarding questionable purchases and they drop the charge if it isn't there. I wouldn't say you are a fool, I would say check you bank practices. Not everyone pays for everything at the end of the month, I personally refuse to have a credit card due to wife having an uncontrollable urge to spend what is on it. she has gotten much better in throughout the years, but cash for everything or debit card has been how I roll. I don't use paypal so there is that, and amazon has been pretty good with purchases. If you don't have the money at the time of purchase, you don't have to worry about that at the end of the month either. some people use credit as available funds, other people (like yourself) do not.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As if the headache of Ups losing my cam wasn’t bad enough yesterday someone in a different state used my card and emptied my account. I caught it lastnight and I’m working with the bank and have a police report filed. Hoping this investigation goes smoothly. Check your accounts people. And always go inside to pay for gas.
My bank has a good record for handling this stuff but yeah I'm almost to the point of CC for all public uses of cash then pay off at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my situation was taken care of withinn3 days of me going to the bank. And they caught the people responsible so that’s cool also. But yes I am deff going to look I tonthenCC thing as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts