Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every harness bar thread I've found has been about a bolt in arrangement. I'm wondering about just welding a bar between the two b-pillars. This is on a street/autox car.

I can see a couple of advantages for daily driving too. Connecting the b-pillars must give me some small measure of extra side-impact protection, plus the bar will stop my seat collapsing back in a rear end collision.

For autox I can use it for a camera mount and 4-pt anchor.

My car has no interior so that's not an issue. And I can't imagine a body-to-bar contact scenario (which is why I'd be nervous about a roll bar on a DDer). I assume I'd need them to weld some type of backing plate to the b-pillars rather than just weld the bar to the sheet metal.

Can anyone see a any safety or other problem with this idea? Could the heat from welding actually weaken the b-pillar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Other than the strength of the bar for impact (pulling on belts) in the way of g-forces on deceleration.

Or the vehicle side-impact of the b-pillar, and pushing belts to center of vehicle, while your body remains stationary in seat...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Other than the strength of the bar for impact (pulling on belts) in the way of g-forces on deceleration.

Or the vehicle side-impact of the b-pillar, and pushing belts to center of vehicle, while your body remains stationary in seat...

strength of the B pillar from the heat may be compromised... but if the op uses a loop around (wrap around) style harness belts and not the welded tabs if the bar moves the belts should stay with the driver, not the bar.

I have a bolt in style harness bar and one very distinct advantage to a bolt in is the ability to remove it if I ever decide to sell it (most every one will sell someday)...

I also figured out a way to remount my factory belts to the bolt in bar so I can run the stock belts on the street (street legal) as opposed to the harnesses (not street legal)

My bar is made by Stable Energies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts