Weight with driver

Front 2067 58.94%
Rear 1440 41.06%

Left 1829 52.15%
Right 1678 47.85%

DRIVER PASS
FRONT 1115 952
REAR 714 726

I'm about 235 in street clothes not counting helmet. There's no real weight reduction to speak of. I've removed a few things, but nothing major. Just thought I would share.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I hear you, but for perspective: I drive the mythically-light foxbody coupe, yet you're only running 75 lbs heavier than my combo was last year when I weighed mine, driver included. And we're both around 235. Granted I haven't done much to reduce weight, the K-member/A-arms/coilovers helped as did removing the spare (whooptie do!). I've added weight in the form of bigger brakes, wheels, tires, a rollbar, harnesses, a torque arm and PHB, and a heavier rear swaybar.

If you want a [/i]light[/i] car you can scream around the track in, you're going to have to spend a lot more money, deal with a lot less streetability, or deal with a far smaller package.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too stressed about it. I'm right at what the published curb weight is the for the Bullitt and I've added some hardware and removed some, so it looks fairly even right now. I actually just pulled the trigger on an Odyssey PC680 battery to take about 20# of the front end.

·
Registered
591 Posts
before my supercharger my car weighed 3300 (exactly) without me and 3/4 gas
so roughly 3350 with blower and 3/4 gas

3530 with me in it
94 gt coupe

havent really done any weight reduction, added more weight than stock with the blower, brakes, subframes, heavier wheels, ignition box, etc :(

Once i add the IRS i'll get it reweighed

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well, mine is in the 36XX range. Granted I have a roll bar and big stereo system, but yea it's a pig. To put it in perspective, the C5 Vette's are roughly 600lbs lighter. :(

The weight distro front to back is more tolerable than yours(Bullit guy), though.

I'm willing to sacrifice performance for street car convenience/enjoyment. Nobody's payin' me to do any of this so I might as well make myself happy. :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well, mine is in the 36XX range. Granted I have a roll bar and big stereo system, but yea it's a pig. To put it in perspective, the C5 Vette's are roughly 600lbs lighter. :(

The weight distro front to back is more tolerable than yours(Bullit guy), though.

I'm willing to sacrifice performance for street car convenience/enjoyment. Nobody's payin' me to do any of this so I might as well make myself happy. :)
I'm with you. I have the stereo, full interior, ect.... Not giving it up for the way I drive.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't be giving up to much in the way of creature comforts myself. Ill be keeping the interior, sans back seat, and I will also keep my a/c. 100 degrees and 100% humidity in the summer dictates that, especially in a black car!

The weight distribution is bad with me in it. Just shy of 59/41 and about 56/44 without me I guess. I'm not sure on the second part because I don't know how the driver weight is distributed.

I don't know what other weight reduction I will do. At this point I am trying to keep in street prepared legal to keep expense down. The battery lightweight battery and possible relocation later will help take almost 40 (I think stock battery = 37ish) # off the front end. I'm also trying to verify the legality of the 2000 cobra R hood, since that could be an update/backdate. It may lose around 10 pounds or more. Not really sure. I'd like to do it for looks anyway. When I start and finish the Mach 1 swap, the result will be a net weight loss on the front end but that more carries more weight higher (4v heads and covers) than the 2v.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If you plan on putting a DOHC motor in the car in the future, I sure wouldn't limit myself present time to just conform to some strict rules. Put the stuff on the car that will make you enjoy it more.

Hopefully somebody smarter or more tech. savy can chime in on this next subject.

I've "heard" that taking 40lbs(say from a battery)in the front, and adding it to the back equates to moving 80lbs or twice as much to the new location.

I'm not sure how to word it, but this was something I heard long ago maybe at an autocross or dragstrip or somewhere. Maybe I heard it from a bum under the bridge, I dunno.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you plan on putting a DOHC motor in the car in the future, I sure wouldn't limit myself present time to just conform to some strict rules. Put the stuff on the car that will make you enjoy it more.

Hopefully somebody smarter or more tech. savy can chime in on this next subject.

I've "heard" that taking 40lbs(say from a battery)in the front, and adding it to the back equates to moving 80lbs or twice as much to the new location.

I'm not sure how to word it, but this was something I heard long ago maybe at an autocross or dragstrip or somewhere. Maybe I heard it from a bum under the bridge, I dunno.
I think I am going to keep the 4v stock internally to keep my cost down. The mach motor has nice midrange which should be handy. Boltons, and ported intake should make some nice rwhp. I'm thinking a small shot of spray could make things more fun if I go to the drags.

At 1000+ for a cam change, I'll pass.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yea, but what i'm sayin is won't that motor swap put you in like EMOD or SM ?
If the line was never available with that motor, yep, straight to mod or SM...update/backdate won't apply.

btw, my Mustang Shelby GT, with 18# wheels and 295 Hoosiers, 1/4 tank gas and all stuff (floor mats etc) out of it was a shade over 3400lbs on SCCA's Longacre scales, fwiw. There can be a fair amount of variance in different scales, so it is hard to pinpoint "exactly" what our cars weigh...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a legal update/backdate. 94-04 Cobras, Mach 1, GT are on the same line. That includes 95 and 00 Cobra R's too. That's how some have rolled their own R's so to speak. You could also swap in a 03/04 cobra motor although that would add more weight.

That Shelby weighed 3400ish w/o driver. That's not too bad. I can't wait to see what the 2011 GT weighs in at. 400hp 5.0 with 3500ish curb weight?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
To my understand, and trust me, my understanding of the SCCA and it's weird ass rules are cloudy at best....

If you do the update/backdate thing, don't you hafta change over EVERYTHING from the model/line? That'd mean an IRS....plus other non relevant interior items?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Many of us understand the rules just fine... Not trying to be a complete ass, but maybe it's you? Seriously, the rules are pretty straightforward if you just read them and understand that they allow you to do what's written.

UD/BD only requires whole components to be swapped, not the entire car under Street Prepared rules.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The requirements around engines is that they be replaced as a complete unit. Therefore the complete long block not a mix and match of this short block with those heads.

I guess the Mach 1 is one of the bestter choices due to its low and midrange grunt and combo of weight. There are a lot of cool options though if you want to spend. Roll your own 5.4 DOHC cobra r replica motor or a 95 Cobra R style 351 but with aluminum heads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder what that said :rofl:

I think the rules suck, but I hang around Tony a little bit so I guess he's just a bad influence on me.

To the OP, I didn't see it mentoined, move the battery from the FRONT LEFT to the REAR RIGHT, it will help you with both numbers. But it will add some wieght OVERALL from the extra battery wire.

Unless this puts in AM class, or XP, or CP or SM or WTF or ABCXYZ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm going to keep it in the stock location for now. I will relocate the battery at some point, but not in the next few weeks. I'd prefer to locate the battery to the back seat well but since the back seat is still in, that could present a problem. Plus relocating the battery can be a little involved to do it right so I'm going to hold off for a little while on actually moving it. FWIW, battery relocation is legal in SP

Sam, what are your thoughts on the Cobra R hood? HO Fibertrends makes the hood for Ford as a replacement hood for the 2000 Cobra R and as an option though FRPP. If you owned a Cobra R and needed a replacement the Ford Part Number goes back to the HO Fibertrend hood. The original hood that actually was on the production car is no longer made and Ford cut ties with that company (I think). Would this be legal. It is possible that it is lighter than the original but it is a legitimate OEM replacement according to Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Weight with driver
Was that with a full gas tank and spare? Does your Bullitt have the heavier Mach stereo? For comparison sake, my '01 Bullitt weighs 3383 lbs true curb weight on my Longacre corner scales, full load of fluids, spare, no driver. Completely stock except for an Eibach front bar and Konis.

At autocross weight (1/2 tank of gas, no spare or floor mats), it comes in at 3236 lbs without driver, 3468 lbs with driver. With me in the car, my corner weights are nearly identical to yours, within 1% all the way around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts