Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 GT temp gauge has been out for a while. I have been told it is my temp sender (or sending unit?). My brother told me its an easy install, just screws on, and I might lose a little coolant. Is this an easy install? I'm no mechanic. The dealer said its around $100 to fix. Isn't this a $20 part? I would like to try to fix it myself if possible. Thanks!

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
My wife could do it. Including opening the hood, finding tools, and changing the part it takes about 10 minutes. :)

If you open up your hood and look on the very front of the intake, there's a temp sensor on each side on the top of the intake. One controls the temp gauge, and the other sends a temp to the computer. I **think** the 'gauge' sender is on the driver's side, but I'm not positive. The Ford dealer should know.

Here's a link to a pic of the temp sender's location:

The red circles outline the temp senders. Notice the driver's side in this pic has a plug instead of a sender, though.

Hope this helps.

-Pat

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Just thought of something else.

Walk straight into your dealer's service center and kick the manager square in the nuts. $100 is a ripoff--like I said, it takes 10 minutes to change and I'm pretty sure it's not a $70 part.

-Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks alot for your help! Will I only need to replace the driver side one, or both? The bastard probably wanted to charge me $100-they had to replace my cracked intake under warranty and I don't think they were too happy about it.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
If you don't have a 'check engine light', you should only have to change one sender--the 'gauge sender'.

-Pat

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
yellowman98 said:
If you don't have a 'check engine light', you should only have to change one sender--the 'gauge sender'.

-Pat
Yeppers... one of them is the "temperature" and the other is the feed for the "EEC/Computer".

This is an easy install and I'm sure you can accomplish it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
related subject

I just got a 180* fan turn on kit. Since both water temp fittings are used on a '98 GT, would a t-fitting in one work to get two sensors into the same hole and still be in contact with the coolant, or will I really have to tap a new hole in the intake? The kit (from IST) has its own temp sensor for fan use, but keeps the stock one for the EEC for other engine functions. I also don't want to lose my temp gauge! Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, I've read about using a manual switch for the fan, but I don't want to have to mess with it. I'd prefer it to come on automatically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts