Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a wastegate take being held open to bypass exhaust for an extended period??

I'd like to force the WG open with air so the exhaust bypasses the turbo on extended cruising, but when I just tried that the WG got hot pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
not sure what benefit your trying to get from doing this?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you're shooting for fuel economy go to the blow off valve. Limiting boost is easier than trying to stop it from spooling. And a lot quieter

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure what benefit your trying to get from doing this?
Trying to keep hot exhaust from running through the turbo when in street cruise mode. It cuts way back on turbo heat, but the constant stream of exhaust gets the WG hot as heck.

I'm just not sure how hot a WG can get before failing.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Higher will benefit from higher iats.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Trying to keep hot exhaust from running through the turbo when in street cruise mode. It cuts way back on turbo heat, but the constant stream of exhaust gets the WG hot as heck.

I'm just not sure how hot a WG can get before failing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I doubt any companies design those for continuous operation

Are you worried about heat soak or intake temperatures?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I would think that a TIAL would be Ok just cruising around. They are made to operate red hot under racing conditions and under cruise conditions it may be ok. I've seen vids where some cheap ones will stick open while heated.

ks

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

I'm just not sure how hot a WG can get before failing.[/QUOTE

turbos like heat just invest in a good turbo blanket ...i have thermal zero blanket and keeps the underhood temp down pretty good

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm just not sure how hot a WG can get before failing.
Yeah I doubt any companies design those for continuous operation

Are you worried about heat soak or intake temperatures?
I was worried about under hood temperature and oil temperature because I wanted to run a true street race. We were supposed to drive 20 miles before racing. I wanted to hold the waste gate open in the cruise so the turbo stayed cool.

It is OK without doing anything.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You could always put a spacer at the rear of the hood if you want a temporary fix. It makes the whole hood a cheater cowl and pushes new air in. Should help your temperatures, especially if that cruise is at freeway speed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts