Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a turbo 2.3 with a 3" DP and no cats. How does your exhaust note change when your wastegate opens? Granted mine is a 2.3, but when I get on it i hear the turbo spool and the engine builds boost fine. I then here a high pitch squeel which I always thought was the WG opening. But today I started to think about it and noticed that the noise happens at diffferent points in the boost curve. I am using a MBC set to 16-17 psi. I still think the noise is the WG, but just thought I was ask others.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
On most of our cars its more of a rush of air noise. Everything we mess with to this point has been v8 cars so it might be different but even other 4cyl imports local I havent really heard anything like that. Its hard to tell though without really hearing the vehicle

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Exhaust leaks on the drive side of the turbo will make high pitch squeals being the pressure they are under. Could even be a boost leak...

When I ran open downpipe I couldn't really hear a difference when the wastegate opened...between the engine noise, the open downpipe noise and the turbo screaming really couldn't hear anything else!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Are you bieng serious about not bieng able to tell the difference? It's a pretty obnoxiously loud sound when the wastegate dumps to the atmosphere
I'm dead serious...but when you have a open downpipe you already have a HUGE exhaust leak. So when the wastegate opens it blends right in with the rest of the noise.

But when you have an exhaust system hooked up but vent the wastegate to the atmosphere then yes it's loud as crap and sounds like crap. I know some of you like that...but it's ghey :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I'm dead serious...but when you have a open downpipe you already have a HUGE exhaust leak. So when the wastegate opens it blends right in with the rest of the noise.

But when you have an exhaust system hooked up but vent the wastegate to the atmosphere then yes it's loud as crap and sounds like crap. I know some of you like that...but it's ghey :rolleyes:

X2!!!!

I run open DP your not gonna hear a 35-44mm exhaust leak over the 3 in one :rofl:

and yes its very ghey!!!

what spring is in your wastegate?? Im willing to bet its the MBC bleeding pressure off from the spring pressure up to the 17psi your running.... or do you hear it at boost pressures less then the spring pressure???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts