Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fox project car problem - wasps. I noticed red wasps (i.e. paper wasps that sting) routinely flying into the cowl vent of a project mustang and into the crack between the door and the right fender. I popped the hood and saw an old wasp nest by the radiator but nothing else. I removed the nest, sprayed the car down with water, and nothing happened. There are no wasps inside the car either. Any guesses where a nest might be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would burn it to the ground. But I am a total bitch when it comes to bees.

For real though, after removing the nest have you seen any more? Airbox, heater vent box, things like that. I would check that stuff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate wasps. They are still flying in the same locations after removing the old nest. I put some wasp traps out but they caught nothing. I'm not allergic to them, but their stings give me serious welts. Hard to work under the hood of a car when I'm getting bombarded.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
sounds like the current nest is inside the car, probably in the a/c ducts. you are going to need a professional to remove them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang. Guess I will call some professionals to remove them. Would it be possible to cover up all points of entry to the AC ducts and let some good old Texas heat kill them over a week or two?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Go to your local agricultural service company and get some insecticide. A 1 gallon sprayer and a few ounces should do the trick. Insects metabolize poisions very differently than humans so they are relatively safe to use. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Get some bug bombs and set them off inside the car. The chem will get into the vents and kill them.

ks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that I will be in over my head with all these chemicals. I don't want to do anything that might cause corrosion/rust. I will probably just call a pro to take them out. My concern is now that they will come back after a couple of weeks to my car and recolonize it. I can probably just put tape traps around or something.

·
11,039 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but the subsequent EMP would destroy the rewired electrical system that I finished not to long ago.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point! I can toss the ECU in a lead box, drop one of them, burning the shadows of those wasps into the pavement. I need a new battery anyway...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With enough wasp spray and a hose, I haven't seen a red wasp in a couple of days... then yellow jackets moved in to replace them. Can't catch a break this season.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to do what I should have done from the very beginning: call a pro. Then cover that thing tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts