Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this motor last year and I am still working on the car and how I can go turbo without too many changes to the motor itself( since it was built by a professional builder). I am new to e85 and turbos, but I know you guys can HELP. I know I need a BIG fuel system but dont know all the best parts to go with. This is going to be 85% a street beast and 15% strip. I would like to shot for the 800-1000hp range. I also need a good eng mang system. I have a pms 4 but dont know if that is the one I need?
Mainly need all info from A to Z on going e85 on a 11:1 motor...Thank You Jeff

Below is from the add when I bought the motor, but let me know if you need anymore info.

382 cu. in. 7000+ rpm Dart small block - 600+ horses on pump gas. Motor capable of handling 1200+ hp. Brand new, never run. Built by Professional engine builder/NMRA champ Rich Groh of RGR Engines, Algonquin, IL. This is a race motor built for the street - no expense spared.

-Dart Iron Eagle 8.7 deck 4.125 bore block race-prepped, clearanced for stroker crank, and modified for stock-style roller lifters.
-Lunati Hooters Cup lightweight forged crank, knife-edged, 3.5 stroke.
-Internally balanced
-CP pistons with 10cc dish, 11:1 compression, coated on top and skirts.
-Eagle H-beam rods, 5.7" long
-Clevite coated H bearings
-RGR Custom Hydraulic roller camshaft(242/248 dur @ .050 / .575/.595 lift)
-Total Seal gapless rings
-Tool steel wrist pins
-Canfield Cylinder heads, fully ported, 2.05 intake/1.6 exhaust valves, 58cc chambers, coated combustion chambers, coated exhaust ports, coated valves, titanium retainers
-Crane billet roller timing chain
-Crane Stainless steel rockers
-1 piece forged pushrod
-Melling hv oil pump
-MLS head gaskets
-Felpro engine gaskets
-Romac SFI aluminum damper
-Canton Pro Oil Pan
-Flow Kooler Water pump
-TFS Box R intake, lower ported w/trick adapter plates to accomodate 8.7 deck block

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I am in the process of building a 338 with a pt88 using a T6 exhaust housing. I also will be running E85 using a FAST XFI efi system and 160# injectors.

You may want to think about a few things you could do to lower the compression some. Like running a thicker head gasket or having the head combustion chambers opened up to gain a few CC's. I would definatly run a intercooler even with the E85. Are the pistons even built to hold up to boost? Or are they custom n/a pistons....how high are the ring lands on the pistons? You may need to change them to run much boost at all. Not sure how big of an injector a PMS unit can run. You probably would need to swap out your cam also. It doesn't look very turbo friendly to me from just the spec's you posted.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to get the comp down to 10:1 at least and a turbo cam. Who has or sells a good turbo cam? I need to look into fast and AEM eng man systems.

On the fuel system I was thinking 160lb but what is the best fuel pump and rails?

Is e85 corrosive like or as bad as alco and meth?

Who has the best turbo kit for twins or a quick spool single?

Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I would like to get the comp down to 10:1 at least and a turbo cam. Who has or sells a good turbo cam? I need to look into fast and AEM eng man systems.

I will be running a Bullet Racing custom cam. I would have your favorite cam guru or cam company set you up with a custom one for your combo.

On the fuel system I was thinking 160lb but what is the best fuel pump and rails?
Weldon/Magnaflow are very good brands. I'll be running a weldon 2035 pump with a 10an feed to a Y block that uses 8an lines to feed my pro-m fuel rails. Behind Bars race cars makes some nice fuel rails similar to pro-m's.
Is e85 corrosive like or as bad as alco and meth?

No...not at all. I run Parker automotive teflon lined stainless steel braided lines for all my fuel lines. No smells in the garage at all.
Who has the best turbo kit for twins or a quick spool single?

Way to hard to answer...lots of good kits out there that you can buy..like hellion and ptk. Or have a local shop fab you up a kit..that's what I'm doing.
Thanks Jeff
K

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
No need to lower the compression. Just don't go stupid with the boost. If using a custom cam it is possible to bleed off some of the cylinder pressure as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts