Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to switch to a MT Pro Bracket Radial next year, 9x28, from current MT 10.5x28 slick. Want to be able to control rear height, and would definitely go with a double adjustable shock for dialing in suspension with the radials. Would prefer to stay stock location for ease of installation, I don’t weld. If someone was to make a compelling argument otherwise, always willing to listen. There are some obvious players out there, QA1, UPR, Strange, Team Z. This is a drag only footbrake class bracket car. Specs in sig.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I went with this: Wolfe Race Craft - Detail

You are able to adjust ride height without going to a coil over.

Oooops, just saw that you do not weld....never mind. mLol

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viking shocks.

ks
I see that UPR makes a kit that comes with Viking double adjustables. 19 adjustable. Way to go? Or something else?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think there are a lot of different ways to get where you want to go. I did not see anyone mention Chris Alston's Chassisworks. I just installed a set of their single adjustable rear coilovers in my car and their stuff had top notch workmanship. I do not know how well they work yet since the car is not running.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I see that UPR makes a kit that comes with Viking double adjustables. 19 adjustable. Way to go? Or something else?
Don't cheap out on rear shocks. Buy the best that you can afford. If that is a Viking, then you are good to go. If you can afford better, do that. Personally I run Afco double adjustable. I wish I could afford Menscer shocks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d stay away from the upr kit, personal experience.
That would indicate a bad experience. Lot of folks seem to like Viking shocks, and on the Viking website when you go to their rear coilover kit for 94-04 it is UPR. So what didn’t you like?

·
Registered
918 Posts
They use a sleeve design over top of a normal coilover. There is nearly not as much adjustment as a true threaded body style. I’d go direct though Viking, the actual coilover is a threaded body. I agree with Viking, hindsight is 20/20, I got the upr kit with strange coilovers. Don’t get me started on customer care through upr.....

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
They use a sleeve design over top of a normal coilover. There is nearly not as much adjustment as a true threaded body style. I’d go direct though Viking, the actual coilover is a threaded body. I agree with Viking, hindsight is 20/20, I got the upr kit with strange coilovers. Don’t get me started on customer care through upr.....
You talking front or rear coilovers? This thread is about rear coilovers.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
menscers
Afco
stanhuff

one of those 3

Reactions: Saleen414

·
Registered
918 Posts
To cut the confusion, if the actual shock is threaded, like the crusader series Viking shock, I would go that route. If it’s a threaded sleeve, which is essentially a milled aluminum sleeve that slides over the shock tube, like upr sells, I wouldn’t buy it. Just my .02 from personal experience, I’m only comparing design differences.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of good feedback here, I am finding it a bit odd that nobody has mentioned Strange Engineering for rear coilovers. They say their adjuster is built into the shock, not a sleeve, and they have a good selection for ride height ranges. I currently have their cheapo heavy single adjustable 10 ways struts in front and shocks in rear, and 5-6 years no worries. Some reason people don’t like them? https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/4-64-double-adjustable-shock-spring-kit-pr.html/

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Lots of good feedback here, I am finding it a bit odd that nobody has mentioned Strange Engineering for rear coilovers. They say their adjuster is built into the shock, not a sleeve, and they have a good selection for ride height ranges. I currently have their cheapo heavy single adjustable 10 ways struts in front and shocks in rear, and 5-6 years no worries. Some reason people don’t like them? https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/4-64-double-adjustable-shock-spring-kit-pr.html/
Depends on the car. For Outlaw type racing or pro-racing combos the valving isn't stiff enough to control movement at this level of racing. For us street/strip and play racing they are fine along with QA1.

ks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I purchased the Viking rear coilovers. For the money I spent, they are doing fine.

UPR's customer service.......agreed, the worst!

Put it this way.........I had to argue with them to return a double shipment to me that they did not even know about!

I could had just kept them.

So when I had a slight problem with the set I kept......they at first did not want to work with me......I had to go through the owner and remind them how I return things under their F up!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Depends on the car. For Outlaw type racing or pro-racing combos the valving isn't stiff enough to control movement at this level of racing. For us street/strip and play racing they are fine along with QA1.

ks
bingo!

plenty of guys running strange shocks in ultra street actually. but not sure how many are running stock valving

1 - 20 of 24 Posts