Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 68 I'm running a 347 stroker that does about 375 horsepower. The car has a toploader 4 speed and an 8 inch rear end that is an open diff and 350 gears. I think with this set up the car might be around the 12-13s on the quarter mile (If anyone else has something similar let me know what you're running).

I wanna go faster and i've been thinking about throwing some money at a 9 inch rear end with a locker in an attempt to put down the power i currently have. I've also read in some places that a wattslink system can really help a car.

Also have had thoughts about making a bit more power but I've also heard that most 302 blocks are only good for around 500 horsepower. Not sure if it's worth throwing all the money at an engine already close to 400.

let me know what you guys think. thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
Have you tested your setup for a baseline? It does seem like a low rear gear, but until the setup is tested, I don’t think it would be a good idea to throw all kinds of money at it. There are a lot of variables that may come in to play that may make you faster or slower than a similar setup, but that’s just my .02.

·
Registered
156 Posts
First step I would hit the track for a base line.
What I did with my current car was started with suspension upgrades and upgrading the weak links. I am running 12.80s on Drag radials with a 5spd and 3200# car making maybe 240hp to the tire.

If the drag strip is something you might hit regularly a set of slicks and good posi unit would be first upgrades.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If your going to stay at that power level, I would try a locker in the 8" as my very first mod. Then if & when you go up in power then consider the 9".... that is.... unless you can get a screamin deal on a 9" now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ditch the open 8". I broke mine twice before finally stepping up to a 9 inch. And I only have a little 302. Caltracs and mono leafs helped big in the traction department.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
8" and 9" use the same mini-spool. Might try one before going much further-as with an open diff, you'll likely find that the first hundred feet of track is largely tire spin-which will hurt ET tremendously. The 8" is a good rear but they aren't bulletproof especially behind a 4 speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts