Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a NIB 86-93 2200, Blowzilla/Flowzilla that I want to put on my 95 Cobra.

I see that the snout is shorter and that I will need a bracket for the 94-95 as well.

My greatest concern/question is:
Is there any difference between the 2200 and 2100 where the snout couples to the compressor?

I'm not talking about where the snout bolts to the outside of the compressor (it appears the same), but on the inside where the coupler for the snout meshes with the coupler on the compressor?

Does anyone know where I can buy a 94-95 snout and bracket?

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Here you go:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go:

Thank you for the pictures.
Is that a 2200 or 2100 or is there even a difference between the two?

I guess a better question would have been, are the snouts from a 2100 and 2200 interchangeable with the coupler you you have in the picture?

Thanks again.
Ken

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
That coupler is the same for the 1.5, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.8.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The newer kenne bell 2.1 uses a different drive than the older autorotor compressors like the 2.2.

They share the same spider coupler, as shown above, but the depth is different.

I do know that kenne bell still had a 270mm drive (94-95 mustang length) for an autorotor a few months ago, as I was working on a custom application for a 2.2L.
I ended up going with a much shorter drive for firewall clearance issues.

I was also told that the compressor can be sent in, and they can convert it to use the newer style drives. I'm not sure what is involved in this, probably just a spacer plate behind the coupler.

Calling kenne bell is your best bet. They tend to be very hard to get on the phone, but have been very helpful to me once I've gotten through.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer kenne bell 2.1 uses a different drive than the older autorotor compressors like the 2.2.

They share the same spider coupler, as shown above, but the depth is different.

I do know that kenne bell still had a 270mm drive (94-95 mustang length) for an autorotor a few months ago, as I was working on a custom application for a 2.2L.
I ended up going with a much shorter drive for firewall clearance issues.

I was also told that the compressor can be sent in, and they can convert it to use the newer style drives. I'm not sure what is involved in this, probably just a spacer plate behind the coupler.

Calling kenne bell is your best bet. They tend to be very hard to get on the phone, but have been very helpful to me once I've gotten through.

Chris
Chris, thank you for this information!

Do you know if the 270mm drive that Kenne Bell had is for the old style drive 2.2L or is it for the new style drive 2.1L?

Any idea of how much they wanted for the drive?

Thanks again for this information.
Ken

·
Registered
122 Posts
They still had at least one 270mm drive for the old autorotor compressors like your 2.2. Polished finish, out of black ones. I actually purchased it before realizing how bad my clearance issue was, and returned it unused. I ended up using a 4.6 cobra drive instead.

I’m sure they have newer style drives as well.

They have prices listed on their website here:
http://kennebell.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Kenne-Bell-Price-List-7-20-18-1.pdf

Drives are near the bottom.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They still had at least one 270mm drive for the old autorotor compressors like your 2.2. Polished finish, out of black ones. I actually purchased it before realizing how bad my clearance issue was, and returned it unused. I ended up using a 4.6 cobra drive instead.

http://kennebell.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Kenne-Bell-Price-List-7-20-18-1.pdf

Chris
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Chris
Heard from Kenne Bell today, they are out of the drives.
Bummer.

I guess I’ll just have to keep looking on eBay, this site as well as others.
If I don’t find one, it looks like it will be going up for sale.

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Kenne Bell should still be able to convert your compressor to run the newer style drives. I have no idea what it would cost though. It was an option they offered me before discovering they still had the old autorotor drive.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that.

Kenne Bell should still be able to convert your compressor to run the newer style drives. I have no idea what it would cost though. It was an option they offered me before discovering they still had the old autorotor drive.

Chris
Thank you for help Chris.

Did they ever mention how much it was going to cost to convert to the new style?

·
Registered
122 Posts
It never came up, as they found the autorotor drive for me after checking their storeroom. I’d be quite surprised if they dont stil have it.

Id strongly reccomend calling them till you get through, they are happy to help once you talk to them.

They have been super helpful to me, both when my 2.1 sheared the pulley bolt, and with the custom build I’m doing with the 2.2 on my 5.0 ranger.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It never came up, as they found the autorotor drive for me after checking their storeroom. I’d be quite surprised if they dont stil have it.

Id strongly reccomend calling them till you get through, they are happy to help once you talk to them.

They have been super helpful to me, both when my 2.1 sheared the pulley bolt, and with the custom build I’m doing with the 2.2 on my 5.0 ranger.

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll try giving them a call.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
So what all are the differences between an '87-93 kit and a '94-95 kit? There's a '94/95 kit in the classifieds now and I'm curious about the differences. I know the SN95 5.0s had a different serpentine belt drive than the Fox 5.0s, but I don't know what else would need to be adjusted to put the kit on a Fox 5.0.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
So if I ran SN95 accessories, I'd be good to go to line up with the shorter snout, right?

In the original post, Ken said in addition to the shorter snout there was also a bracket he would need. Any idea what he was referring to?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the details. I need to do this like I need another hole in the head, but... it's still tempting. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts