Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to mustangs but not to Turbo's or rods for that matter. Been a Master Tech. for some time and just picked up my first mustang. First a little what powertrain is:

351w
TFS heads (not sure what ones yet)
Forged Pistons 8:1 CR
Eagle H Beam rods
stock 351 crank
Cobra lower and upper intake
E303 cam
A1000 FP
Pro-M MAF and Pro-M Blowthrough Housing
Paxton fuel system
32# injectors
EECIV PCM
TKO500 trans
and plenty of other parts to ensure 800+ HP operation and stay together

It's currently N/A but was built to go F/I in the future. The PCM is stock with a C&L MAF currently and I think 24# injectors. I'm looking to put down 600-700 HP at the rear tires and not really go over that. Here are my questions, and please I did search and many people what more power or what not and I can't come to a decent conclusion on what stuff I will need.

1. What size injectors should I run to stay around 75-80% DC with a 11.5:1 AFR. Can I stay Hi-Z so I don't have to worry about resister packs. This will give some headroom for more later but It's more for overboost events.

2. Is the E303 a decent turbo cam? It's going to be a DD. I want something aggressive but at the same time get me decent mileage when I'm cruising. I'm doing a manual brake conversion so I don't have to worry about vacuum and the power booster.

3. Is the EECIV with the Pro-M and a quaterhorse a good engine management solution under boosted situation? I've tuned S/C mustangs with EECV's and lighting MAF's and they where very decent.

4. I have 2 turbo's currently one a H1E (older HX40) and a HX52. I'm currently building a Talon for the HX52 that is going to put down 800HP so I'm wondering if the H1E will be adequate for 600 HP. I know it would do that maxed out in my Talon. Or should I look into another turbo?

5. I would like a 7K redline if not a tad more. I'm sure the valve springs and rockers are not adequate in the TFS heads for that. What springs are good for that kind of RPMs? I am getting a steel crank for the motor before I turbo it FYI.

I already have a nice Spearco intercooler that should fit under my LX front and most all the piping to run the cold pipes. I also have a Greedy Type S BOV and a Tial 50 BOV.

Thanks for giving me a hand selecting a few critical parts. I'm looking forward to joining the Turbo Stang crowd. It would be nice if it wasn't slower than my 4cly but I also don't want to break stuff with to much TQ mainly the TKO 500 that's in it. Wish it was the TKO 600 but that is what it came with.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
1. 60-72 lbs injectors

2. Thats an awful cam. Get a custom cam from FLow Tech Inductions.

3. The stock computer will "work". Consider upgrading to an after market system
like Mega Squirt or AEM and run speed density. Both have nice "plug-n-play" boxes for the factory harness

4. I would just get a new Master Power T-76 or GT-42. They are cheap and good.

5. Forget 7k with a stock cast crank. You'll shake that thing to death in no time.
With a V8 putting down 500+rwtq at 4,000 rpm you'll be poop-ing your pants at 5,900 rpm anyway

Tip:

No need to run 8-1 compression. Go ahead and run 9-1 or 9.5-1
You will only need 10-15psi to hit 600-700rwhp ........ not 30psi like you are used to on the 4 bangers.

Get some TEA Twisted Wedge heads. 205's if you can afford them
http://www.totalengineairflow.com/products/fordhead/tfstw/

Ditch the GT-40 intake for either a Edlebrock Super Vic EFI or TFS 5.8L R intake

Get a nice twin disk clutch to help TKO stay alive under the high torque

·
Registered
652 Posts
1. 60-72 lbs injectors

2. Thats an awful cam. Get a custom cam from FLow Tech Inductions.

3. The stock computer will "work". Consider upgrading to an after market system
like Mega Squirt or AEM and run speed density. Both have nice "plug-n-play" boxes for the factory harness

4. I would just get a new Master Power T-76 or GT-42. They are cheap and good.

5. Forget 7k with a stock cast crank. You'll shake that thing to death in no time.
With a V8 putting down 500+rwtq at 4,000 rpm you'll be poop-ing your pants at 5,900 rpm anyway

Tip:

No need to run 8-1 compression. Go ahead and run 9-1 or 9.5-1
You will only need 10-15psi to hit 600-700rwhp ........ not 30psi like you are used to on the 4 bangers.

Get some TEA Twisted Wedge heads. 205's if you can afford them
http://www.totalengineairflow.com/products/fordhead/tfstw/

Ditch the GT-40 intake for either a Edlebrock Super Vic EFI or TFS 5.8L R intake

Get a nice twin disk clutch to help TKO stay alive under the high torque
dont waste your money on a custom grind cam go with a f303 cam they work great with turbo cars and people have made 1000 with this cam. if you have the money and are looking to make more power in the long run then yea a custom grind cam would be better but for 600+ a F cam will work fine with some 1.7 rockers.here is my list of stuff on my 351w with a turbonetics turbo and im wanting to make around 700 aslo.

351w roller block
turbonetics 76mm turbo
JGS precision 40mm wastegate
front mount intercooler
CRT built the trans,comparable to a super comp c-4.
has a PA transbrake valve body,billet servo,PA deep pan,scs cheetah shifter,small bellhousing(157t),B&M tranny cooler,-6an steel braided lines for the cooler,
9" billet convertor 3800 stall with a billet stator in the convertor
A1000 fuel pump
Aeromotive fuel rails
Anderson Motorsport PMS
Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick flow Box R series upper and lower
75MM throttle body
PMAS blow through mass air meter
60lb injectors
Ford Racing SFI Harmonic Balancer
Ford racing aluminum drive shaft
QA-1 K member with A arms
90/10 with coilovers
Real cobra R hood
Cobra front bumper
Cobra rear bumper
rear lower control arms
2002 Cobra Complete interior
MSD6BTM with boost retard
NOS 150 dry kit
AEM Tru boost controller
15x3 and 15x10 welds wrapped in 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson Drag radials
waiting on my JGS precision wastegate and turbo to come from ups

·
Registered
652 Posts
also for your computer no it wont work for 1 the injectors you need 60lb or 72 are to big for the stock computer.go with a anderson pms they work good and are cheaper then some of the other stuff.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY for the replies. I'm partial to Megasquirts. I've built a few for some talons and they just rock. MS3 is out and can do sequential ignition and injection for a V-8 so If I went with anything other than the EEC it would be the MS3.

That puts me in a hard place though. I would want to run a crank and cam trigger. Is their an easy way to use a crank trigger on the 5.8? Worst comes to worse I can use a good balancer and bolt a 36-1 wheel behind the crank pulley and make a CKP mount, but would like to know if I can just install some OEM bits to be able to mount a crank sensor. For 5.0 I know their are lots of Cam sensors but I've never seen one for a 5.8. Being the last 5.8 was in 97 I'm guessing their is one. If someone knows what vehicle it was on please let me know. I would probably go CNP and use a set of LS2 coils since they have the igniter built in them.

The cam was my next concern. I've actually decided I'm going to put the H1E on the talon and put the HX52 on the Fox so Now I'll be running about 800RWHP with enough turbo to go 1K. I'll get a custom grind cam. Who is known for the best custom turbo grinds? BTW the HX52 flows around 97 lbs/min.

TY for the crank info. Sucks but I'll have the motor pulled for the turbo mock up and pre install so I'll definitely be putting a good steel crank in. While I'm their I figure I'll see if I can run a MLS HG's and if so upgrade those.

As for the rest of the motor I'm not going to touch it. If the deck needs surfaced them I'll hone it and re-ring it if it needs, but the TFS heads and the Forged pistons and rods are going to stay. I might work a trade on the heads with someone once I know what I have to get something with a smaller chamber to bring the CR up to 9:1 as it's my preference with a turbo motor.

Again ty for the advice. I'll take all I can get.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Custom cams are not $600, they're about half that.
www.flowtechinduction.com
www.camshaftinnovations.com

2 of the best.

Cam/Crank sensor.

AEM has something called the "EPM" which replaces the distributor and
sends out a cam and crank signal for use with LS2 coil packs. ..... easiest.
Works best with the AEM computer, but supposedly will work with any computer.

If you want to go custom you can do what I did on my AEM install.
Explorer crank wheel
Explorer crank pick mounted to later timing cover with proper holes
3.8L V6 Mustang cam sensor modified with machined collar to fit 351W hole.

Here's the build thread for it. It started off as an EDIS-8 build but was quickly changed so forget the title
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=938696

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TY R.Barn. Excellent info for the DIS setup and cam sourcing. I'm going to go with CI as I get the best vib from their literature. I'm very confident in going DIS now.

Problem with swapping a dizzy for a cam/crank sensor setup all in one is the same issues you have with the dizzy. You have timing chain slack which effects timing, gear slack, and even rod deflection which all effect timing. Crank mounted trigger is definitely the smart money. Cam sensor is only used to get #1 TDC power stroke so it doesn't have to be accurate. I have a 97 351 so I should have a front cover that I can do what you did. DIYautotune sells crank triggers and spacers in different sizes just for behind the crank pulley installs. I'll be running MS3extra when I get to doing this. I'm going to setup the MS with the MSD dizzy that is currently their to get a decent tune so when I go DIS it's all running and mostly tuned.

R.barn mind posting some more pics of your install with the cleaned up wiring? I'm into clean engine bays, and most Fox engine bays are cluttered all the hell with wiring and lines. Mine included which is one thing I'm going to be working on.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Custom cams are not $600, they're about half that.
www.flowtechinduction.com
www.camshaftinnovations.com

2 of the best.

Cam/Crank sensor.

AEM has something called the "EPM" which replaces the distributor and
sends out a cam and crank signal for use with LS2 coil packs. ..... easiest.
Works best with the AEM computer, but supposedly will work with any computer.

If you want to go custom you can do what I did on my AEM install.
Explorer crank wheel
Explorer crank pick mounted to later timing cover with proper holes
3.8L V6 Mustang cam sensor modified with machined collar to fit 351W hole.

Here's the build thread for it. It started off as an EDIS-8 build but was quickly changed so forget the title
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=938696
ok so here is why i dont waste my money on a custom cam.me and 4 other people call 5 places that do custom grind cams.every place we called we filled out the cam sheet with all they specs.each shop all had diffrent cam options but the funny thing is each shop what ever the cam was they tryed to sell it to all of us.so my question is how is that a custom grind cam.alot of people have kinda the same combo as i do so if they make a custom grind cam for me and they also try and sell it to the other4 guys how is that custom? sounds like a off the shelf cam to me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you go with a custom cam take a close look at Cam Motion. They rock with turbo cams.. they picked me up tons over a Anderson S/C cam. I am talking like almost a 1/2 second in the 1/4 and 5mph in the 1/8 mile..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts