Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna go turbo but I see alot of ppl making more HP switching to auto's.Is this mainly for racing. Im not giving up my manual trans as it is way to much fun to drive and my car is a street car. Is it just going to be to much to handle on the street. I will prob stop around 600-650 rwhp if i even decide to go that far.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Sup man its qwik sn95. I'd go Turbo over a strim all day. The auto thing is for racing mainly but some autos are fun on the street. What trans is in your car?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now its a T45. Id prob have that built or switch to a T56. And if i didnt go turbo eventually id switch to a T trim.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Search the site ( mostly this section ) and you'll find lots of 96-98 Cobra's running the On3 kit. If you've never OWNED a high HP car 650hp is a huge number. Stick with a bolt on kit as it will be plenty for you. On3 just announced a forward facing turbo kit with heavier metal in the construction on the hot side too. It's about $300.00 or so more then the current kit and should perform a lot better.

Do some research and see what you're getting yourself into. The pay off can be a lot better and the On3 kit can save you some money,but,there are other hidden cost you need to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A auto made my car way more fun and faster. Plus its not like its a real automatic anywya.You have to shift it.Wouldnt have it any other way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Search the site ( mostly this section ) and you'll find lots of 96-98 Cobra's running the On3 kit. If you've never OWNED a high HP car 650hp is a huge number. Stick with a bolt on kit as it will be plenty for you. On3 just announced a forward facing turbo kit with heavier metal in the construction on the hot side too. It's about $300.00 or so more then the current kit and should perform a lot better.

Do some research and see what you're getting yourself into. The pay off can be a lot better and the On3 kit can save you some money,but,there are other hidden cost you need to be aware of.
what are these hidden cost you speak of?

·
Registered
148 Posts
what are these hidden cost you speak of?
I think he means: Tubular k-member kit(k member+coilover kit+ A-arms), essential fuel system upgrade (injectors+MAF+ new tune), Turbo jacket/pipe wrapping (to keep under hood temperatures as low as possible)

If you are concerned about not being able to hold boost when shifting gears with a manual there is an item called Wotbox by a company called n2mb that allows you smooth and safe (albeit clutch taxing) powershifts.

FYI I will be preparing an autobahn-racer/daily driver project for my 96 cobra if my funding allows in summer and my choice of Turbo kits is the On3 front facing kit.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I wanna go turbo but I see alot of ppl making more HP switching to auto's.Is this mainly for racing. Im not giving up my manual trans as it is way to much fun to drive and my car is a street car. Is it just going to be to much to handle on the street. I will prob stop around 600-650 rwhp if i even decide to go that far.
Obviously you have never drove a turbo car with an auto.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was just curious as to why ppl switch to autos....if its to hold boost i understand and all i was just wondering im not saying they arent fun or anything

And Ive done tons of research on the subject and on3performance. I know they have tons of customers but i havnt seen alot of 96-98 guys thats why i was asking.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe the answer your looking for is that when people switch to automatics its because in a manual during the whole shifting people tend to lose boost between shifts and have to build it back up while in automtics you pretty much stay at constant boost........dont kno if it helps any

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks man that helps. Ive never driven a turbo car much less a turbo'd auto car. I dont really race it but i was just curioius. It seems everyone i know who puts a turbo kit in their car ends up doing an auto not long afterwards.

While im sure the auto makes the car faster and more consistent I will not give up my manual I like rowing gears to much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts