Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Sooo. I've been running my 295s on 17x9 Cobra Rs and they work okay, but a 17x10 would be preferred. I'd like to get a list of 17x10s (or wider) that fit in the front of SN95s. Can you list your setup or a set up you've seen?

I'd like to know:
-wheel (a link would be great too)
-spacer size if needed
-Offset

Thanks!

It seems like the most affordable option is the Enkei RPF1 in a 17x10. I think someone on here is running these in autocrosses...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are you running fender liners? I put some 17x10.5 replica wheels on the fornt of my 98. They needed a .25 spacer to fit well but I do not have a liner. I then used the eastwood fender rolling tool and pushed the fender out around .75" which gave me more clearance then I probably needed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The problem with using some of those 10" or 10.5" replica wheels on front applications, is that they often don't have enough spoke clearance for reasonably sized brake systems.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
...and I would NOT run sticky tires on any non-forged wheel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if just for autocross? I'm assuming your concern is that the rim would break away because of the intense forces of Hoosiers.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Come on, where is your sense of adventure? :)

Cheapo Chinese cast wheels I would probably stay away from using as track wheels, OEM quality castings should be OK. Depends on the harshness of the usage really.

cheers
Ed N.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
OE wheels 95 R replicas here. The front 9's have plenty of room for my Alcon/Saleen setup. I'll let you all know if/when I break or bend one. 3 seasons so far so good :)

Anyone know if R58's are forged? Pretty sure they are not, and there probably isn't a wheel type out there that is more common on Mustangs at autocrosses or open track events.

I have played with the idea of putting my rears up front to check what it would take to run 10.5's all the way around, I just haven't gotten to it. I'm sure I'll have to lose the fender liners, if I have to limit the rack that will be a show stopper. My local club looooooooves pivot cones and has two venues that involve a turnaround on the front straight of a road course, I need all the turning radius I can possibly get. I'll also try RPF-1's in 10" wide, reasonably priced for a 15ish lb wheel and they look cool too.. and they also clear my Alcons (100 percent sure of this, the previous owner of them had RPF-1's also LOL).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
OE wheels 95 R replicas here too in 17x10.5 +27 offset on all fours with 5/16" spacer on front. PBR Cobra Brakes. Will fit with 1/4" spacer but I was making my own so I went a tad thicker. I also have an inch or so of rack limiters on each side to prevent scrubbing on the sway bar. 315/35/17 tires. Been running these since early 07 without problems. I was actually running the same wheels with 9s on front for a few years prior. I just added two more 10.5s in 07.

I am still running factory liners but I relocated the ABS wires after hearing some got rubbed into. You basically just cut the retainer holding them, pull them out from under the liner, and tuck them behind the strut.

Final edit. These wheels are heavy like 26-27 lbs. and the larger tires are heavier. The extra rubber is worth the weight.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Come on, where is your sense of adventure? :)
Ed N.
Yeah, I probably left it [the sense of adventure] on the last straight doing 160mph into a braking/turning zone, pulling consistent 1.2g's ... :cool:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If RPF-1's are available in the size your looking for, i'd imagine that they would be the most economical option...

Do RPF-1's clear 00R Brembos?

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
Enkei does make RPF-1's in 17X10 rear fitment for a Mustang. They list them as a 6.18" backspace compared to 5.82" for the 17X9 wheels, so less than half of the extra inch is inboard. They weigh 17 lbs each according to Tire Rack.

I'm pretty sure the RPF-1 has more caliper clearance than an R58, so they should easily clear 00R Brembo's. They had no trouble clearing my Alcon's.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wanted to add that if the car has front coilovers then the fit on these wide wheels gets more difficult. Some newer guys reading this may not know that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I'm running 18x8.5 Saleen rims with 255's in the front (will soon be changing to 17x9 rims with 255's) and was wondering if it'd be to my advantage if I used a 1/2-1" spacer up front. I know some gus are running wide wheel setups front/rear, bi since im limited to my current wheel setup, would sticking the tires out a bit more using spacers help with handling? Pros/cons? Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone fitting 17x10+ up front with coilovers?
Now there's the 64 million dollar question.

A quick check on the RPF1s compared to my R58 Cobra Rs: Wheel Offset Calculator

Inner Clearance: 7mm less (not bad)
Outer position: extends 19mm (approx. 3/4" is the extra 1" in wheel width)

Right now, I use a 1/8" spacer up front to help my coilovers clear the 295/35 Hoosiers. I've got a 1/4" spacer if needed

·
Registered
521 Posts
Anyone fitting 17x10+ up front with coilovers?
I have RPF1's 17"x10" front an rear. I have coil overs up front and I have 315's front and rear.

this is how i did it.

you know the strut ears that connect to the spindle. i pulled the spindle outward, all the way (positive camber). that gets the wheel furthes away from the strut. I also used the smallest spacer possible by measuring. (3mm universal spacer off ebay) cheap 15 bucks. then i rolled my fender almost an inch. (more like i pulled the fender the rolled lol.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
I had been thinking of using crash bolts to roll the tire away, then move the strut inward on the tower to get the negative camber back, I'm just not sure what that would do to the geometry of the suspension.

I would think 2" drop spindles would put the wheel far enough up the strut to minimize clearance issues?

·
Registered
780 Posts
It seems like the most affordable option is the Enkei RPF1 in a 17x10. I think someone on here is running these in autocrosses...
Hey David,

I believe I told you I would send you some pics of that wheel with 295's, a short time ago... :rolleyes: OK, maybe it was about a year ago...

Sorry bout that. I assumed you already had 10's when I read your post about the 295's.

Still got them on from an event this past Sunday. I'll post some up by Friday.

They fit without spacers, no problem. The only problem(which doesn't bother me) is the limited turning radius, due to contact with the sway bar. The larger Steeda bar doesn't help the matter either.

HTH

Sean,

If you don't mind making the trip, you're welcome to try my wheels on. Or, maybe you can meet me at the next Philly event. Shouldn't be too far for you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rob, Do you have coilovers? (I do)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts