Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
That's cool. Good point on the rate. I believe the one that Phil offers is 10hz or 10 updates per second which probably isn't enough to work well.

·
Formerly known as 20thAniv
1,275 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead.

Were you able to get this figured out? I have the same MS3X, and I'm wanting to hook up the factory VSS as well.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bringing this one back from the dead.

Were you able to get this figured out? I have the same MS3X, and I'm wanting to hook up the factory VSS as well.
I never got it working with the factory sensor and a converter. theoretically, there is no reason why it won't work. After I shorted out the first converter, I decided to get the bluetooth adapter and GPS from EFI analytics.

That setup worked ok for what I wanted. However I will tell you that using a bluetooth adapter with a vista laptop was a pain (the adapter for the laptop, not for the ms3x).

Remember i wanted to log MPH and MPG and adjust the AFR and Timing tables for Max MPG on highway. After doing much experimenting and long drives the factory A9L AFR and timing table is a pretty good compromise. Sure I was able to really lean it out at the 60, 70 and 80 MPH in 5th gear cells, but the cell would change based on if you hit a hill or wind. You would make the lean spot bigger and you would still hit them cruising around.

I was able to find the tables for the A9L and increase the size and used those and the car ran really well. I was also able to check out a friends Pro M system tables and noticed they trend close to the pattern of the A9L also.

Sorry for left field discussion but I figured I would share my findings.

·
Formerly known as 20thAniv
1,275 Posts
Great info, I appreciate it. I was more wanting it for logging mph, more than anything else, but I haven't ruled out working in the traction control in the future.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
In case anybody has been thinking about this, I'm testing factory VSS with an MS3Pro right now using the shielded cam input (my crank and cam are both hall so didn't need to use the shielded inputs). I tapped in to the factory wires on the drives side kick panel and tested with the rear of the car lifted off the ground. Currently it's erratic when the wheels aren't spinning, jumping around between 2mph and 30mph when it's not actually moving. As soon as I start rotating the wheels, it gets smoother and more closely follows what I see on the dash.

Matt Cramer suggest I test some resistors in parallel with the Sensor so I'll be testing a 10k and 1k since those were in the parts bin. This is nice because it doesn't require an external conditioner.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Is this taken directly from the sensor itself, or from the output of one of the on-board boxes? I didn't look but I'm guessing it feeds the cruise control box?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
very cool. Is it a VR type?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
very cool. Is it a VR type?
Yes, the factory fox sensors, at least for 1990, are VR type sensors. I read a post about the triggering wheel having 8 teeth but I haven't confirmed it. I used 8 for the setting but might need to modify if speed readout doesn't match the gauge cluster.

The whole purpose of this is to use some VSS for different features of MS3 but also to use in combination with a front wheel hall sensor for traction control. I run a 235 drag radial on the street with stock wheels for a sleeper look so it'd be cool to let traction control help put the power down on unsuspecting victims. lol

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Not an MS3PRO, but i added a dual VR conditioner board to my MS3x box i built to use the factory VSS. Was pretty simple to wire in, but that platform is more geared towards DIY than some of the commercial offerings.

One conditioner goes to my VSS and does work in benchtop testing with a JiMStim, and the other will go to a front wheel hub.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
For the purpose of traction control?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I guess I can try a conditioner before going through the trouble of adding another wheel sensor. I did install a hall effect sensor at the rear axle hub and it works well.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts