Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research to figure out how to use my factory VSS sensor in my fox mustang with my MS3X.

From the Manual
Megasquirt-3 - Speed and Gear sensors

I am tryin gto figure out if this "converter" is what i need:
Dual VR Conditioner Board V2.1

based on this information it is a magnetic ac pulse generator
http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/16088-vehicle-speed-sensor-output-signal.html

Fuel Injection Technical Library » Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

is it that same as a "VR differential"

I guess i am unsure about the terms used with these sensors. If i can't use my factory one could someone suggest something.

thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yes that will work. You want a 0-5v pulse input. The conditioner will take the ugly signal you'll get from the VSS and turn it in to a nice square wave signal. At this point you basically have a trigger wheel signal, like you have in your distributor or what you'd have from a crank trigger. Looks like it's an "8 tooth" arrangement, so 8 pulses per VSS rpm.

Choose driveline mounted.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not to bring up an old post but, I haven't been able to get this to work. I just started tonight so all hope isnt lost.

I am using the vr condtioner board listed in post #1.
here is what i know:

I have a fluke 87V multimeter for troubleshooting.

I have 14 volts at the board. it is connected to the battery for now
I have a good ground. I am also connected to the battery.

I am not sure if my factory vss sensor is working.
sny thought on how to see if it is ?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
An o-scope would probably be best. Does your multimeter have a setting for measuring RPM? You might be able to use that to deduce that you're getting pulses.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think my several hundred dollar multimeter does rpm. Go figure. Have to do some basic testing with a drill and an extra set if hands.

Might be more effective to get the Bluetooth adapter and GPS that phill sells. Although my future plan were boost per gear and i don't think there is a boost per speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Fluke 87 V True RMS has Hz button, so will read frequency. Also reads temp with provided sensor. Looking at mine, right now.

What are you going to use the VSS signal for? Some kind of traction control?

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fluke 87 V True RMS has Hz button, so will read frequency. Also reads temp with provided sensor. Looking at mine, right now.

What are you going to use the VSS signal for? Some kind of traction control?

Primarily logging. I'd like to raise the AFR and spark advance of highway cruise speed.

I guess a secondary function could be traction control. It have to be the kind that pulled fuel and spark. Not sure of the workings of this feature though.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It retards the timing to reduce engine power. I don't believe it ever actually cuts ignition or fuel, that's probably not something you'd want as dropping a cylinder would create a dramatic output change event and you want smooth changes to manage traction.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It retards the timing to reduce engine power. I don't believe it ever actually cuts ignition or fuel, that's probably not something you'd want as dropping a cylinder would create a dramatic output change event and you want smooth changes to manage traction.

thats what i meant. I was thinking for some reason some of the OEM used brakes as traction control. I dont know though. It's been one of those days

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
thats what i meant. I was thinking for some reason some of the OEM used brakes as traction control. I dont know though. It's been one of those days
Some do use the ABS system for traction control. The ABS has it's own computer.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yup some do use the brakes.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my stock VSS is doing somthing. Hooked to a dewalt 18 volt drill, at full speed I am getting about 7 volts ac. I am not sure what it should be but from the reading I have done that is about right. Hooked to the vr cond. I don't get anything in tuner studio under any of the possible settings.

The VR cond gets exremely hot. I am not sure if this is normal. I don't think we have an osope at work. There are 2 different circuits on the vr cond. I may try the other one.

if not I am going to get the gps stuff from Phill

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Well my stock VSS is doing somthing. Hooked to a dewalt 18 volt drill, at full speed I am getting about 7 volts ac. I am not sure what it should be but from the reading I have done that is about right. Hooked to the vr cond. I don't get anything in tuner studio under any of the possible settings.

The VR cond gets exremely hot. I am not sure if this is normal. I don't think we have an osope at work. There are 2 different circuits on the vr cond. I may try the other one.

if not I am going to get the gps stuff from Phill
Assume you got the 12V external model? I would think it would get very warm but not hot.

tThis might answer some of your questions:
jbperf.com • View topic - Dual VR V2.1

I can find anything in TS yet.

I have seen the BT, it's too long to fit in my mounting location. BT will be slower than RS-232. I have a laptop dedicated only to the car & made a custom mount for it. Made a mouse pad tray, too, so don't have to work the touchpad lefty. Touchpad sucks on this Dell, probably why it was in the trash.

BTW, you can get USB o-scopes that use your laptop. Probably a better investment than the BT & GPS. I had done some research & forgot all about it.

Some to consider are SainSmart & Hantek; some pretty nice ones for under $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Not sure what the BT and GPS would do for you. That's only going to feed info to TS. MS doesn't get the data.

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok been talking to jbperf. Checked voltages and frequencies. I think the board has a short. I'm sure I caused it when I was hooking the leads up. Not a biggie. I'll order another one on Friday. It'll give me dome time to figure out how to install it.

The gps and bt options will log just like the Vss sensor. The Vss has active features if I wanted to enable them.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Which active features? Maybe I'm just being dense here. :)

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you can do traction control and a boost per gear with a real Vss sensor.

The gps is for data logging. No reason a boost per gear couldn't be done with gps. That option isn't there. It might not be fast enough.

I also think if you have one or the other you can enable the performance and economy window and get estimated power and mpg in logging.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Traction and boost per gear with a vss I can understand, the signal is an input to the MS cpu.

I am pretty sure that the gps only connects with your laptop or tablet. You can enhance your logs by interlacing speed data but the MS cpu does not receive an input so it can't be used for boost control.

If you know some way MS can actually use the GPS as an input, spill the beans!!!

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Traction and boost per gear with a vss I can understand, the signal is an input to the MS cpu.

I am pretty sure that the gps only connects with your laptop or tablet. You can enhance your logs by interlacing speed data but the MS cpu does not receive an input so it can't be used for boost control.

I was doing some carefull reading this morning and I think you are right. The GPS talks to the laptop and the laptop talks to Tuner Studio. It never says the GPS directly to the MS unit. It'll still work for my initial goal, just hard to drop a Benjamin when the other is a Ulysses.

I wonder if there is a GPS unit that can sent out a signal the MS would understand? It would have to be hardwired in and send out a 0-5 volts or a wave. humm. research time

only one i could find taked to OEM ECU over the OBD 2 port
AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition

and it is about 10 times what I am willing to pay, lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts