Ford Mustang Forums banner

vortech v1s to On3 single turbo

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  NC STANG GUY 
#1 ·
Hey everyone i have a question, hopefully someone here might have the answer.
So right now i have a 1990 lx with a 331 forged internals with a stock block, edelbrock performer rpm heads, vortech v1 S trim 8lbs boost. Fuel sys consists of 42 lb inj, Ford lighting mass air, 255 walbro intank pump, t-rex inline booster pump, stock fuel lines, vortech fuel rails and an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. The car makes 432 rwh on a mustang dyno on a safe tune

So my question is im thinking about switching to an on3 turbo just for something different and i want to make the same HP, would i be able to just bolt on this turbo kit without changing any of my fuel sys components. Some people i have been talking to say i need to put 60lb inj in the car and a 375 lph pump and a different mass air kit..

LMK what you guys think

#2 ·
Hp is hp. If it is making close to same power level then you will be fine. As long as you are not close to maxing out what you have. Not saying it should not be retuned even if it is at the same boost level.

#3 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I have a 347 stock block build that makes 411hp/529tq through a 4R70W (not locked up) and was thinking of going turbo to make more power. I have no doubt I'll make more, but I love the sound of the Vortech V1. I've been collecting an all new fuel system as well to make the changes when/if the time comes.

#4 ·
You dont need to change anything if you are going for the same HP. You probably should update the tune for the boost ramping quicker.

#6 ·
When I swapped from. V1 to my On3 setup I left the fuel system alone Except for the the MAF. I had to buy a blow through meter for the On3 kit. Other then that I ran my 255 pump and my 42lb injectors. I keep the boost relatively low, less then 10lbs and I don’t have a problem. If you wanted to the 60lb injectors wouldn’t hurt but you wouldn’t need it to get going. The swap itself is pretty straight forward. Remove your headers, h pip, the blower, and the On3 kit will slide right in. The FMIC took me the longest to get where I wanted to and I upgraded all my clamps from the ones from Amazon. Was better quality. The oil drain in the pan actually just swapped the fitting to 5/8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It'll actually take less fuel to make the same wheel HP with the turbo setup. The Vortech takes more hp to spin it than the backpressure drag from the turbo. Shold be plenty safe long as you stay under 500 wheel hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.