Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In late 2017, my Vortech suddenly got a little "noisy." I posted a video in THIS THREAD. The sound was evident only at idle, did not increase or get worse with RPM, and went away as quickly as it appeared. I noticed it once last summer, then it quit again.

Yesterday, I pulled the plumbing to change plugs and wires. The attached pics show what I found. I realize I need to reevaluate my crankcase vent line and oil separator setup, evidenced by the oil film and deposits. You can see where I wiped some away residue with my finger, but what's disturbing is where the deposits appear to have been swept away by the impeller. I'm concerned that the impeller has actually made contact with the housing, and may do it again.

Suggestions for further investigation steps, potential causes, and resolution would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just remembered that I did have a fueling issue that resulted in backfiring a few times. The noise was not evident immediately following this incident, but did occur some time after it.

EDIT 2: I've read that compressor surge can cause the impeller to strike the housing. I have a Mondo bypass installed. The screw is turned in a bit in an effort to quiet a whistle emanating from the valve at cruise. Is it possible it's adjusted too tightly?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It's hard to tell by those pictures but it doesn't look like the impeller contracted the volute. If you see scratches, it definitely contacted, which I don't see in your pictures.
How old is the Vortech? Maybe needs a new seal?

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

It's hard to tell by those pictures but it doesn't look like the impeller contracted the volute. If you see scratches, it definitely contacted, which I don't see in your pictures.
How old is the Vortech? Maybe needs a new seal?
No, it doesn't. There are no marks visible. I bought the unit used, so I'm not sure how many miles/time are on it. The front seal gets a film of oil on it which migrates to the blower face a bit, but there are no drops. It could probably stand to be replaced, but not worth it at the moment if that's the only issue. (Not sure what the seal would have to do, though, with this situation(?))

any axial movement?
how does it feel turning the pulley by hand?
No movement at all, and smooth operation when turned by hand. No clicks, pops, or other sounds.

The more I look at this, the more I think the twice-heard sound and the deposit removal may be unrelated. It's possible the deposits are simply flaking or peeling off from the air rush of the impeller(?).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Should not be oil at blower mouth inlet, show your oil separator set up, pcv etc

Please check discharge outlet tube for oil reside, trying to pinpoint oil source

1 - 5 of 5 Posts