Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess no one has seen this cage? I’ll try to get pictures when installled, always learning something new.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
At what point does one need to have that shield? There are thousands of S/C cars running around without that cage. Or is this just so you feel better about the 1% possibility of a belt failure?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At what point does one need to have that shield? There are thousands of S/C cars running around without that cage. Or is this just so you feel better about the 1% possibility of a belt failure?
I had 4 cars with blowers, I have not seen one of these cages on a blower, that was my first question, to see a pic of what it looked like installed. I did have a pro charger belt which broke and wrapped around the transmission oil lines going to radiator and broke one of them.

You make me sound like if I’m pushing my new found cage. I really don’t care, I just thought it is kinda cool.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I did not know your reasoning behind using it, thus the questions. If it is just for a cool factor, or not, run it. It is not going to hurt anything that is for sure. Besides, 99% of S/C belt failures can be directly related to tension, either to much or not enough, pulley alignment/placement or damaged pulleys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went to see a friend of mine for parts he was selling, I came across the cage, and I asked what it was. He said it was to prevent the belt from breaking other stuff according to him, a guy from the East coast, Boston area, was making these years ago. I have had mustangs since the 1990s with blowers and never seen one. Honestly, I bought the cage because, I knew when people saw it, would have same reaction I had, like wtf is that thing on the blower, lol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
cage would be used on race head unit with cog 50mm belts i have no seen this used may save a fiberglass hood. funny thing is that this is it built better than mounting brackets
i would use this on dual brackets and concentrate making the main support for head unit at least 1/2 thick so you would need cage due to belt issues.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Well, my car is sporting some serious body damage to the hood and passenger fender thanks to a thrown belt. Since then, I've built my own tensioner to solve that issue, and it hasn't thrown one since. Never the less, In my mind, it's not a bad idea.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts