Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
So the guy I have been working with at anderson ford said to install the barbed FITTING into the air filter itself on the front side which will be before the maf. What size hose i.d. would you recommend for the hose from oil fill pipe to can and can to barbed FITTING? Probably gonna be around 10 PSI
Also can I just leave the pcv as it is to the back of the upper intake relying on the pcv valve to close under boost or is there a better way?
i've seen that done before, but i've also seen it damage the filter that way depending on the hose and how its routed and if its moving.

stock pcv will typically work unless you start pushing hard on the boost (over 12 give or take). my car back in the day and also a friends car, both of which had freshened up shortblocks, used stock pcv setup (both making 525-550rwhp) with the exception of the home depot filter added to catch any oil mist and a check valve from a supra if my memory serves me right. having that filter catch can was handy as you can easily see if there's any junk in the line. i think we used 3/8" hose but its been long time.

on my turbo car now, low 700s to the tires, I run a 12AN from each valve cover into a catch can and a air check valve E8DZ-9A487-A as it fits a 3/4" hose perfectly.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
So the guy I have been working with at anderson ford said to install the barbed FITTING into the air filter itself on the front side which will be before the maf. What size hose i.d. would you recommend for the hose from oil fill pipe to can and can to barbed FITTING? Probably gonna be around 10 PSI
Also can I just leave the pcv as it is to the back of the upper intake relying on the pcv valve to close under boost or is there a better way?
This is a cheap and easy way. I have a nice catch can but the vented oil fumes are annoying when I turn on my AC. So I took the breather off and ran a hose down into the fender in close proximity to my oil filter. It helped a ton having it there. I'm thinking about next step of putting a fitting in the end of my filter. I don't want to drill and weld a fitting onto my pre Vortech 4" power pipe (technically the best way to do it.) I will miss having a spotless impeller, throttle body, intake manifold, and head ports for sure. I'm just sick and tired of the stink.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is incorrect. The fresh air hose should be after the MAF. If you place it before (like in the air filter) then you will draw unmetered air through the crankcase and into the intake manifold while the manifold is in vacuum. At idle speeds this equates to a vacuum leak that throws off fueling by approximately 25%. It is the same condition as would be caused by running a pcv valve and a breather cap on a valve cover.

Ever wonder why lots of people install blowers and then have surging idles that “need” to be tuned? It’s often because they do the pcv setup improperly. Then people try to tune around it by manipulating the bottom of the MAF transfer function to compensate for an air leak.

Aside from the air leak, any oil vapors that do get past your catch can will go through your MAF sensor if you set it up this way and coat the sensor.

Just do it the right way. Put the hose in the pipe between the MAF and the blower.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts