Ford Mustang Forums banner

Voretch V3-SCI on a Stock 5.0 - 1/4 mile times/mph

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  BNF861 
#1 ·
If there is anyone out there looking to buy the vortech v3-sci (5-6psi) kit for their 86-93 Mustang and wondering how they perform, here's how it has worked out for my car.

My car has a stock long block with the vortech kit as it comes out of the box (3.33/6 pulleys), stock 19lb injectors and MAF, 255lph pump. Smog and ac removed. aluminum rad w/contour fans. 180 t-stat and base timing set to 12*. Stock T5. Stock ECU/Cal.
Applicable mods include: UPR k-member/a-arms/coilovers, mm rear lowers,BMR rear uppers, aluminum drive shaft, 3.31 gears, Prothane engine/trans mounts, FRPP headers, O/R x pipe, Borla cat-back, fiberglass hood.

Only ran it twice. Best time I could get was 13.8 @ 104mph w/2.3 60ft (I know I can't drive -bogged it pretty good on launch LOL). 285/35/18 summer tires on heavy ass SVE wheels. Crossed the line right at the absolute top of 3rd.

Vortech advertises the car should make 275hp in stock trim with this kit and i'd say that's pretty accurate w/regards to WHP based on the MPH.

#6 ·
The FMU is programmed to work with a specific combination, so it has nothing to do with power levels, just the parts it's desinged to work with.

#7 ·
It isn't really programmed, it just raises fuel pressure based on how much boost it sees. If it is calibrated for stock 19 injectors it raises it 12 psi for every psi of boost. One calibrated for 24s will raise it 8:1. 30 lbs calibration disc is 6:1 Etc.

They can be erratic sometimes based on temperature. It is best to run a wide band O2 sensor so you can keep an eye on AF ratio if you run one.

As for when they stop making sense, that is right at about 450 horsepower or so when you need an injector bigger than 36 lbs per hour. You really need a chip once you get to using 42 lb injectors on an engine that is mostly stock usually a car will have some bad manners when you get to that point.

#8 ·
Good info. I’ll be installing 30lb injectors this winter along with a pro m maf, explorer intake (mainly because my stock one is old, ugly, and leaking oil lol), power pipe, and 6:1 FMU cal. Have to say I’m a little worried to mess with it considering how perfect it runs right now but I guess worst case I can get it tuned or return it all back to stock.

#10 ·
For what it's worth.. I messed around a little over 20 years ago and put a cog driven R-Trim on a stock motor. I didn't make it to the end of the block before the head gaskets blew. lol Could've been the motor?? But never happened again with things that were more prepped for boost. It didn't hurt anything thankfully.. but it apparently couldn't take the pressure. lol

#11 ·
Yikes! Well I don't believe this car will have any issues running 7psi max. If it does, that just gives me an excuse to build it bigger and better.

#13 · (Edited)
I recently did some upgrades to this base kit and had it dyno tuned by Lidio at Alternative Auto. I changed out the inlet for a 4inch UPR boostmaster pipe, replaced the plastic discharge pipe with the cast one and added the base bypass valve. I also swapped to a explorer intake, cobra 65mm tb, 30lb injectors, and a pro-m maf.

The car put down 323whp/359wtq on 6psi. I am happy with it seeing that vortech advertises this kit at 275hp on a bone stock 5.0. I am now curious to see what it would trap in the 1/4

Reactions: rob
#14 ·
Those are decent numbers on 6psi.

I was running a stock long block with a trickflow street heat intake, an old vortech A-trim making 7psi and untuned A9L (36lb injectors and calibrated maf). I estimated it right around 300rwhp and it ran 12.69@109

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.