Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are quite a few Voodoo engines out there from gt350s, I would really like to swap this instead of a coyote. While looking around the web I see some things about why you shouldn't swap because of vibrations, special motor mounts to handle the vibrations... and so on. The only thing that I am concerned about is replacement parts and how hard they would be to get.

So the point of this thread is for people to convince me not too do this swap and tell me why it might be a bad idea, I am not opposed to going for a coyote. But a voodoo engine would be that much more unique. swap will be done in a 95 GT.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oil pan wont fit. You'll need to switch to Coyote swap pan, which means that you'll need Coyote pump and pick up. Most small parts are interchangeable with Coyote parts so I wouldn't worry about not getting parts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
also, the gen1 motors had terrible issues with the rear cylinders failing. I would not go through all the trouble unless I had a gen2 motor (I think 2019+). I like the idea thought. That thing is a monster!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've worked on the IMSA GT mustangs that used to run the flat plane Voodoo engine and all I can say is there is a good reason ford has removed the Flat plane crankshaft from all those engines. Multiple parts would either crack, fail, or constantly loosen up or fall off in competion use.

If this is mainly going to be a street car cruiser you might be ok and not have alot of those issue. If you are going to track the car any or drive it hard I would say steer clear of a Voodoo.
Unless your ok with headers cracking, alternators and starters failing, bolts constantly loosening up unless saftey wired etc...

The only way I would consider owing one is in an actual GT350 with a really good extended waranty!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I've worked on the IMSA GT mustangs that used to run the flat plane Voodoo engine and all I can say is there is a good reason ford has removed the Flat plane crankshaft from all those engines. Multiple parts would either crack, fail, or constantly loosen up or fall off in competion use.

If this is mainly going to be a street car cruiser you might be ok and not have alot of those issue. If you are going to track the car any or drive it hard I would say steer clear of a Voodoo.
Unless your ok with headers cracking, alternators and starters failing, bolts constantly loosening up unless saftey wired etc...

The only way I would consider owing one is in an actual GT350 with a really good extended waranty!!!

Agree'd. Engine failures are posted almost daily on the GT350 groups. I really wanted to love that engine. If I do ever get a newer one I'll do a GT level 2 pack. GT350 goodies with a Coyote.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Read this is quite saddening.
I really do love what Ford did with the Voodoo engine..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be that guy that says they are junk stay away. Not my intention at all. I just wanted to let you know what I have seen and delt with on a daily basis for 2 yrs. We've never had any internal failures or catastrophic failures of the Voodoo due to its design.
If it happened it was usally user error lol (drivers)..It is still a very reliable engine mechanically and you cant beat that exhaust note at 8200 rpm.

It's all the surrounding issues the Voodoo brought with it as I stated before. Ford had to design special engine mounts, special exhaust manifolds that were like twice the weight of the originals and they would still break. Alternators and starters continually failing we have to loctite and saftey wire everything to stop it from comming loose, if you notice they even specific torque procedure for the oil filter to prevent them from coming loose.
It reminds me of the days of the old GM odd and even fire V6 Nascar grand nation engines. They would shake everthing loose..

Of course all our issues are in an extreem racing only environment.

I guess you could say the issues with the Voodoo is alot like the statement that all stock 302 blocks are going to break in half.

You need to read and pick thru all the fat to get to the meat sometimes.

As I said earlier. If you just plan to put this in your car and pleasure drive it and the occasional day at the track you will probably not have much more headaches than the average coyote swap guy might come across.

Its completely up to you at that point. Not sure the added cost for the Voodoo is worth the potential issues for me, plus other than the engine cover saying Voodoo on it, it still looks like a Coyote. So untill you start it up no one will really notice its a Voodoo. Don't get me wrong they do sound awsome turing 8200rpm though.

For the extra price of the Voodoo take outs you can add a turbo or supercharger to your Coyote swap and still have a killer setup. Just my opinion though.

Hope this helps with you decision some.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your feedback, These are the things I was wanting to know. I think the coyote will be my choice.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Not that i'm suggesting this is a better route due to the cost of this engine, but i'm curious. Does the 5.2L Aluminator suffer the same vibration related issues?

I really wanted to get a GT350, but all see in the various groups i am in are examples of engine failures on some very low mileage engines. I know you only hear the bad and plenty of guys are driving around without any issues...but the frequency of seeing those sort of posts was enough to steer me away from a GT350

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Not that i'm suggesting this is a better route due to the cost of this engine, but i'm curious. Does the 5.2L Aluminator suffer the same vibration related issues?

I really wanted to get a GT350, but all see in the various groups i am in are examples of engine failures on some very low mileage engines. I know you only hear the bad and plenty of guys are driving around without any issues...but the frequency of seeing those sort of posts was enough to steer me away from a GT350
That is a cross plane crank engine so I’d guess it’s like a standard Coyote vibration wise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sc is 9.5:1

You cannot duplicate that price

People jamming forced induction into 12 and 13:1,,,,,sheesh!
With the help of ethanol based fuels meaning E85, advances in EFI systems and the introduction of Direct Injection you are able to put boost into combinations you would have never been able to reliably 10yrs ago.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
‘Reliably’?

Borrowed time, IMHO

And that failure will cost double or triple the cited aluminator in the end

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed the Aluminator is not the correct package to try and throw boost at. If your dropping the money for that in the first place I would assume you would use it as ford intended as a N/A package.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
looking at the link its a very small failure rate, and yes it sucks but who knows the full story given that you will have guys with more money than brains buying a car like that

there's nothing like a sound of a high rpm V8 (or V10), but lot of them come with a price. for example rod bearings were a common problem with the E90 M3 and E60 M5s, but the sound is incredible!

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
the SC is for forced induction
Agreed the Aluminator is not the correct package to try and throw boost at. If your dropping the money for that in the first place I would assume you would use it as ford intended as a N/A package.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts