Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first wheel to wheel race at Infineon. The video is taken from my friend Bill's car. It's a lightly modded 2004 Z06. My tires and brakes fell off pretty bad half way through the race but I managed to hold on for the win. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/16627393

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That was a lot of fun to watch. You sir, are one fast muthertrucker to be slinging a fox coupe around like that.
:salute:

Congrats on the win.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nice! Can't believe no paint was swapped!

I can't stand Miata/RX-7 drivers, they never check their mirrors because they are so used to everyone being just as slow as they are.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
There was definitely a couple "pucker factor" moments where I was sure contact was going to happen. Glad you and your buddy kept it clean!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is nice to see someone showing that Mustangs can be fast. Awesome video.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Well played, sir, well played. I'm curious about why you were braking harder and harder for turn 6 as the race went on, was it tire/mechanical or racecraft?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well played, sir, well played. I'm curious about why you were braking harder and harder for turn 6 as the race went on, was it tire/mechanical or racecraft?
There was a few reasons why I was braking earlier and harder at turn 6 entry. The biggest being that my tires were just shot after about 5 or 6 laps and the carousel is just brutal on the right front. I was trying to save the tires, but go as fast as I could if that makes any sense. The second reason is related to the first, if I entered slower I could keep a better line exiting the carousel which gave me a shot of keeping the more powerful Z06 behind or next to me on the run up to turn 7. Third reason is also related to the first, braking over the top of the hill is sketchy even with good rubber under you, on over heated A6s it's just asking to flat spot tires and slide off the track.

I also learned that cobra PBR brakes are fine for track days and even time trialing. I've never had a problem with them up to this point. In the end they worked, but they were fading from mid race on. I'll be getting the 13" stoptech kit this offseason.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Looks like fun. You were making the old fairmont put on a good show!!! In a couple of lines, ST2 = what as far as power/suspension mods go?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like fun. You were making the old fairmont put on a good show!!! In a couple of lines, ST2 = what as far as power/suspension mods go?
Super touring 2 is limited to 8.7lbs/1hp weight to power ratio. Basically anything else aside from open wheeled or tube frame race cars goes. Tires, aero, suspension, and engine mods are unlimited. Z06's dominate this class across the country.

My car and the Z06 are not optimized for ST2, we're both in the 9.1x/1 weight to power ratio area. I don't have any aero, he was running a wing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nice icing on top of your 2010 season. Congrats on that also.

Surprised you held him off during the drag races out of the last turn.

Very cool performance.... :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Finally got a chance to watch all this. That's just great racing right there. It is frustrating when those don't move out of the way or take your line from you while on course.

The black T/A was haulin' some ballz out there. ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got a chance to watch all this. That's just great racing right there. It is frustrating when those don't move out of the way or take your line from you while on course.

The black T/A was haulin' some ballz out there. ;)
735hp 422ci race motor will tend to do that. He's got it limited to 7500rpm right now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, this is Rob with the 88 GT that was pitted next to you, just wanted to say congratulations again and it's cool to see the video! Did you end up running on sunday in the rain?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I have no clue about this racing business, but do they have cars of all sorts of classes out there? It actually looks kinda dangerous...add me to the "shocked no paint was swapped" crowd.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, this is Rob with the 88 GT that was pitted next to you, just wanted to say congratulations again and it's cool to see the video! Did you end up running on sunday in the rain?
Rob, I did race in the rain. I took it real easy since I'm on my provisional rookie license. Bill in the Z06 crushed me in the rain by 45 seconds. A super unlimited stock car and I duked it out for second place, our average speed was a blistering 52mph.

Multi class racing is the norm in grassroots racing. It bothered me that they stuck us in the back at the start when we were ten seconds a lap faster than everyone else on the track in qualifying. Looking back, it helped me. I was able to work the traffic a little better than the Z06 and he burned up his front tires catching back up to me and ultimately was not able to pass me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts