Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY car is an old 4 cylinder automatic car. There is this annooying vibe at that rpm. It cmes on immediately then goes away. Any ideas about where to start? What should I check in terms of the flywheel and the harmonic balancer?

Thanks,
Forrest

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dear Sir,

I have been researching this phenomona for a while now as well. After contacting ford they infomed me that the 4 banger cars chasis is a little bit different in design and a bit weaker in some areas due to less stress put on the chasis by the weak engine.

By adding a 5.0 in the same chasis you are making it twist and bend way more than desined to and this can traslate to vibations at the rpm. to cure this problem you should get subframe connected and other bracing in there as well.

if this does not work turn down the bass as that will contribute to unessary vibrations produced by 2 12inch subs and rapper Ludicris is to blame as well.

Tacke care

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
umm there are no chassis differences between a v8 and a 4 cylinder car, who told you that?

are you using the stock (or a stock) driveshaft? secondly, have you changed rear ends and gear ratios?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
fatboyq said:

After contacting ford they infomed me that the 4 banger cars chasis is a little bit different in design and a bit weaker in some areas due to less stress put on the chasis by the weak engine.

By adding a 5.0 in the same chasis you are making it twist and bend way more than desined to and this can traslate to vibations at the rpm.
:bs:

An aluminum drive shaft will cure your problem, 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check again, biut I don't think the vibe only occurs with the car in gear. Meaning I think it happens when the car is sitting still as well. I'll have to check again later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This probably isnt the same thing, but I thought Id mention it anyway. When my harmonic balancer was going out (rubber ring was dry rotted and sticking out) there was a noticable vibration at higher rpms. I dont think it "went away" though, just vibrated as long as the rpms were up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and the other 1 time is because something on motor is out of balance
If it was somethhing motor related, what do you think it could be other than a flywheel or a harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You said it vibrates when you're moving so this rules out any drvietrain vibes.

It could be anything that rotates. I would look at balancer, flywheel and clutch first. I had the same vib problem, my Hays flywheel (which they swore up and down was the corret one) only had three clutch mounting places that lined up so I drilled and tapped three others after the assembly was already balanced and figured shouldn't take off balance that much. Big mistake had a nasty vib right about 4000 by 4500 it was gone, pulled off flyhweel and had it rebalanced smooth as silk again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts