Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting into tracking my car, a 1967 Mustang. After every event
I end up with a lot of extra rubber that looks to be stuck to the tire and the steering wheel will vibrate for a hundred plus miles on the street before all the rubber is gone. I am not sure if there is a trick to stopping this. I would post a picture, but I am unable to. I am using Kumho MX's if that matters. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Scrape the "worms" off your tires after the event.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I normally just "deal with it". However, i've found that a few laps on some designated open area inside the track(like the area used for cool down) helps a little.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You're picking up "marbles" to use TV racing talk. It's melted pieces from everybodies tires and when you come off the race line, like slowing down and entering the pits, it sticks to your hot rubber. If you really can't deal with it try a skidpad or something. Better yet? Bring race rubber on seperate rims in the back seat/trunk and swap them when you leave. Your street tires will last a heck of a lot longer, and the race rubber is good for a couple seconds a lap... oh, and no more vibrations ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
We autocrossers call it OPR. Other people's rubber. :)

the stickier the tires you lap on, the more you pick up when driving across rubbered in surfaces with hot tires, when not sliding them at all. Not much you can do other than avoid the off-line stuff on cool-down laps and still carry decent speed through corners on those laps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 Questions

How do you scrape the "worms" off, they seem to be stuck on the tires
really well. And is it normal to have most of the worms only on the outer
half of the front tires or do I need even more negative camber.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Depending on your alignment settings and driving style.....the outside edge is generally the hotter part of the tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
And is it normal to have most of the worms only on the outer half of the front tires or do I need even more negative camber.
Thanks
My guess is you're running a bit of negative camber now. The "worms" stick to the outer side because they aren't being scraped off at slow speed/straight line driving, ie into the pits. Don't adjust your camber because of "worms".
You pick up the worms AFTER your hot laps, and they scrape off in the first few warm corners.
It's as normal as you can possibly get for the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
negative camber

I am running -2.5 degrees of negative camber and I am getting even
temps across the tire, so I am going to assume it is good. I am also assuming I get no worms on the rear tires because there is no camber or the tires don't get as hot because they are larger and not working as hard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am also assuming I get no worms on the rear tires because there is no camber or the tires don't get as hot because they are larger and not working as hard.
OR because you're able to spin them and clean them. But yes, no "worms" where there is friction with the pavement.

Wait.. what? The rears are larger? Like, significantly larger, or 275 vs 255 larger?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts