Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly, I would like to thank the Corral community for being a great resource for those of us that are new to Mustangs! I had many questions answered by just using the search function in this forum!
I hope to add to that knowledge base with this post..
My goal was to create a daily driver with good dynamics, rear drive, under 3000 pounds, more than 300 wheel horsepower and no electronics to get in the way of my fun. The Fox body seem like the best formula for that equation. I bought my car with just 29,000 miles on the clock.
The only modifications installed at the time were 3.55 gears, springs and shocks, 17 inch wheels with Nitto 555s, high flow mufflers, K&N and increased base timing. It went 13.9 at 98 MPH and was a blast to drive. The only thing lacking was acceleration. After much deliberation I decided on the On3 turbo kit. There are some very mixed reviews about the kit and service. My experience has been very positive! The kit is a great value and the customer service has been exceptional! I purchased my kit from Chris at Power Adder Solutions. It showed up complete and on time. I had two small issues. First, the hot side of the turbo was not the size listed on the On3 website. (.96 instead of .68) I prefer the faster spool of the smaller A/R. Chris offered to pay to have the turbo shipped back for modification or send me the smaller hot side. I selected the latter and received the correct part in a couple days. The second issue was when mounting the passenger side header I was unable to install al the bolts. Closer inspection revealed that one of the holes was not drilled properly. Enlarging the hole remedied the problem. That was it. Everything else went on perfectly and has functioned without fault for the last 3000 miles.

One of the reasons I decided on the On3 kit was the ability to leave the body unmodified. I was able to install the intercooler without trimming any of the bumper cover. (the car has the original paint and VIN tags!) I only needed to clearance the headlight mounting substructure with two semicircles removed to make room for the top corners of the intercooler.
When I purchased the kit from PAS I also purchased an SCT switch chip preloaded with a base tune for the 42lb injectors and the calibrated MAF. The car started right up, idled perfectly and was transformed by the added power! I am running the wastegate spring that came already installed and the small yellow ( + 2 psi) spring. The car make 9 psi by about 3200 RPM and holds steady to redline.

I attempted to have the car tuned by the only SCT tuner in my area BlowByRacing. Let's just say, I was not impressed with the abilities of the tuner there. He attempted to improve on the baseline numbers and as you can see he was able to create a spike of greater torque and HP. However, once off the dyno and on the street the car would detonate with any level of boost. After and entire day of trying, I had to contact Chris at PAS to have my original tune loaded back onto the chip.
The best 1/4 mile time so far with the kit installed is 12.3 at 117 MPH. I'm sure there is a better ET there once I learn to drive the car.
Hope this review helps any others that are on the fence about Fox Body Mustangs or Turbocharging. Please ask if you have any questions!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
looks great. How long ago did you purchase the kit? The pipe leading to the throttle body looks different then mine. I dont like the sharp transitions on mine and am making a new one. Yous looks good though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tudds, I'm not sure everyone sells base tunes loaded on chips but PAS has a lot of experience with this kit. The fact that my motor is bone stock helps because there are not a lot of variables. Chris did want me to get it tuned properly, but there is No one in the area in which I feel confident.

madspeed, I bought my kit about a month ago and it drop shipped directly from On3 so I'm sure it is the latest revision.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What if anything would you recommend be added or changed to the kit or set-up. Great info here. Nice to see a positive review of On3s' kit.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Very clean car! About the only thing I would ever comment on would be the intercooler. It doesn't look like its getting a ton of air in that placement, but then again I cut my bumper to mount mine lower so I can't really talk lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
tudds, I'm not sure everyone sells base tunes loaded on chips but PAS has a lot of experience with this kit. The fact that my motor is bone stock helps because there are not a lot of variables. Chris did want me to get it tuned properly, but there is No one in the area in which I feel confident.

madspeed, I bought my kit about a month ago and it drop shipped directly from On3 so I'm sure it is the latest revision.
My car is stock as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very clean car! About the only thing I would ever comment on would be the intercooler. It doesn't look like its getting a ton of air in that placement, but then again I cut my bumper to mount mine lower so I can't really talk lol
The car is really original besides the kit so I was willing to sacrifice a little performance to preserve the originality. I wish I could have put it lower but I didn't see a way without hacking up the bumper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What if anything would you recommend be added or changed to the kit or set-up. Great info here. Nice to see a positive review of On3s' kit.
Yeah, It would be nice if the kit came with a Dart block. Seriously though, I the only thing I would tell people installing the kit for the first time is to take the instructions with a grain of salt. There were several parts that may be from an earlier version of the kit and were unnecessary. For example, the instructions tell you to mount the turbo on the passenger side header before installing the header onto the head. It makes the assembly heavy and cumbersome and you can mount the turbo just fine with the header already installed.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
nice setup. i see they have a different waste gate then what came with my fox kit. i have a question about the location of the bov. is it on the driver side cold piping right before the intercooler. thanks and enjoy it

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My kit looks just like his i got mine last yr....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
not mine it was a 4 bolt. i got rid of their waste gate and bov all together due to them being no good. wrong spring in the bov and the waste gate had internal clearance issues. i went with a non diaphragm units from synapse engineering. how is the driver side rack boot on your guys cars i had to firesleeve mine. what are you guys afr's and egts at idle, cruising, and wot. i couldnt get the efi to work for me so i ripped it all off and went csu blow through carb. the car is like a rocket ship now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not mine it was a 4 bolt. i got rid of their waste gate and bov all together due to them being no good. wrong spring in the bov and the waste gate had internal clearance issues. i went with a non diaphragm units from synapse engineering. how is the driver side rack boot on your guys cars i had to firesleeve mine. what are you guys afr's and egts at idle, cruising, and wot. i couldnt get the efi to work for me so i ripped it all off and went csu blow through carb. the car is like a rocket ship now
Legend, To answer your previous question, the BOV is mounted on the 90 deg. pipe just before the intercooler on the driver's side. I'm sure the brand name units you chose are higher quailty than the ones that come with the kit. Since I have not had any issues with mine, I'll wait to upgrade.
No issues with the driver's side boot on the rack but I have a stock K-member and motor mounts which may result in differing clearance.
My afr is at about 13:1 at idle and cruise and drops to 11.5 or so under load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How long did it take you to install it ?
Tudds, I did a couple other items at the same time so it slowed me down a bit. I would plan for 2 full days to install the kit and injectors. That way you don't rush and miss something.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts