Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an '87 LX Vert. It's a partially complete V8 swap. Previous owner has an 8.8" swapped in, Lincoln 11" brakes up front, A9P + harness, Eibach Lowering Springs, Rousch shocks, and that's about it... I am putting in a mostly stock 5.0 for now. It was a standard 302, but I converted it to HO on my rebuild and ported the E7s... I plan on getting longtubes for it as well though.
The front is 5 lug swapped... but the rear isn't so I need to do that sometime. But this car is a vert, so I know it's a bit weaker then most... Anything I should do to stiffen that up, or will it be ok on a mostly stock engine?
What type of tires should I get for decent launches?

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k, thanks. I am looking for something that will last about 20k miles, with occasinaly burnouts... lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, yeah, sub-frame connectors don't cost a whole lot really. I'll probably browse chitownracing for wheels and tires when the time comes this summer.

Any other suggestions for the car?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other thing that came to my mind, with the stock internals of the tranny and 28 spline 8.8" dif, the sticky tires will be safe to run?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Your axles will need to eventually be upgraded. How soon? That's a tough one. Some have gotten away with stock axles, a stick, and high rpm launches on slicks forever. Others like myself broke an axle with a mild 12 second combo in short order. Yet others have broke 'em on a mostly stock 13 second ride.... I'd replace 'em before I ran a slick; maybe even before I ran any sticky radial too. The diff can be cheaply upgraded with a junkyard Explorer rear diff. It uses the same clutches; but the pin & side gears are much larger. The trans can take some abuse; the question is what clutch you have & it's current condition....;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks, I'm not sure how sticky a tire I plan to run. Probably not much... So I'll use the 28 splines for awhile, then upgrade to 31s down the road...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts