Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I wanted to share one of my combos that I built years ago using the stock ECU and nothing all that expensive or complicated: I ran a stock 302 short block with old school Edelbrock Performer heads and a GT40 intake with a 66 mm turbo. The car ultimately ran 9.92 @ 141, but for the most part it was a fairly reliable mid 10 sec street car that I drove all over the place for over 5 years without much of an issue.

I ran the stock ECU with NO CHIP...no aftermarket tuning system or anything. I ran an MSD 6 BTM box that pulled timing out under boost, I ran 42 lb injectors with a base fuel pressure of about 45 psi, a blow-through MAF, and I ran a 255 lph forced induction in-tank pump...nothing special...all with stock fuel lines and rails. I set my base timing at 15 degrees and pulled 1 degree of timing out per lb of boost. I ran 15 psi on the street and at the track...the car worked awesome!

Sorry for the long post, but I guess my point is...that you can build the caliber of car that you are looking to do with a very basic parts list/tuning strategy that won't drain your bank account and won't "strap" you to a "tuner". Nothing against professional tuners, but I always hated being at the mercy of someone else with my car builds, especially as you make small changes to your combo...ie, bigger throttle body, different exhaust, gear changes, etc. It's nice to not have to pay your tuner every time you make a small change to your car.

I just wanted to share my experiences. Good luck with your build and let me know if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I wanted to share one of my combos that I built years ago using the stock ECU and nothing all that expensive or complicated: I ran a stock 302 short block with old school Edelbrock Performer heads and a GT40 intake with a 66 mm turbo. The car ultimately ran 9.92 @ 141, but for the most part it was a fairly reliable mid 10 sec street car that I drove all over the place for over 5 years without much of an issue.

I ran the stock ECU with NO CHIP...no aftermarket tuning system or anything. I ran an MSD 6 BTM box that pulled timing out under boost, I ran 42 lb injectors with a base fuel pressure of about 45 psi, a blow-through MAF, and I ran a 255 lph forced induction in-tank pump...nothing special...all with stock fuel lines and rails. I set my base timing at 15 degrees and pulled 1 degree of timing out per lb of boost. I ran 15 psi on the street and at the track...the car worked awesome!

Sorry for the long post, but I guess my point is...that you can build the caliber of car that you are looking to do with a very basic parts list/tuning strategy that won't drain your bank account and won't "strap" you to a "tuner". Nothing against professional tuners, but I always hated being at the mercy of someone else with my car builds, especially as you make small changes to your combo...ie, bigger throttle body, different exhaust, gear changes, etc. It's nice to not have to pay your tuner every time you make a small change to your car.

I just wanted to share my experiences. Good luck with your build and let me know if I can be of any help.
Now that sounds like fun! Did you run the stock cam and short block?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yes, stock short block, stock cam with 1.7 pedestal bolt down rockers. The car was very deceiving...looked like a 13 second car, sounded like a 14 second car, but would give crotch rockets a run for their money back in the day! LOL!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts