Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I got my fuel pump issue fixed, turned out to be the ecm, just put on a automotive adj. fuel pressure regulator, problem is the vacuum line from the plenum doesn't reach the vacuum port on the regulator, can I use rubber vacuum line, or will it collapse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If its the right kind of rubber hose,yes it can be used or you could also cut the FPR hose in half,then grab a short piece of rubber vacuum hose (long enough to lengthen the FPR hose so that it will be long enough to reach the FPR & intake vacuum port) Now slide heat shrink tubing over one of the hoses that was cut,use the short rubber hose to splice the two cut hoses back together,then finish it off by pulling the heat shrink tubing over the entire repair and hit it with a heat gun to shrink the tubing and seal everything up.Another good reason for using this method is,it leaves the oem vacuum elbows in place on the oem nylon hose,which has a raised ridge at both ends of the hose and this ridge is what prevents the elbow from coming loose from the hose or leaking vacuum. Another option is to buy nylon vacuum tubing from Autozone,Advance Auto or Napa.It'll either be in the help section or behind the counter where the spools of various hoses are located.The vacuum tubing on the Foxbodys is,I believe,1/8 and 5/32....
Here are the part numbers:

(5/32) #47418
(1/8) #47417

I can't remember right off hand if its the same size or not,but if you're no longer using the cruise control,you could use its hose to replace the FPR hose.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If your teflon lines are uncut and not broken, I wouldnt cut them, just pull the rubber elbow off and use a piece of appropriate size rubber hose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your teflon lines are uncut and not broken, I wouldnt cut them, just pull the rubber elbow off and use a piece of appropriate size rubber hose.
If hes gonna do away with the elbow on one end in order to run rubber hose,he might as well run rubber hose the entire length.My primary reason for suggesting to cut the nylon/teflon line was so that the elbows could be used/retained at both ends,since the oem line has that retainer ridge built into it plus the 90° bend of the elbows,which makes for a better connection than straight rubber hose that then gets bent over or curved after leaving the vacuum ports.I know the rubber hose wont kink when its bent or curved,I just prefer the use & function of the stock elbows.Your suggestion will work & my suggestion will work & rubber hose the entire length will also work.To each his own.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
The reason i dont cut the line is because it is easier to find a replacement 90 than that entire nylon hose assembly. If he decides to return the car to stock or he sells it and the next person wants to make it look stock, its much easier to just get the elbow. That is why I made the recommendation. But like you said.. All 3 options will work. Its all just personal preference :grin2: .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts