Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I happen to have a timing chain cover off a '98 5.0 explorer in the garage. I was going to put it in because I'm going to EDIS ignition, and the 5.0 explorer tc cover has bosses to hold the crank trigger sensor.

I then noticed that the water pump mounting holes are different than the ones that come on a 5.0. Since it's a 98 and the explorer is essentially the last of the 5.0s, I presume ford changed the tc cover so they could use the modern water pump that comes with the mod motor cars.

I found out last week that Bob Bondaurant's driving school replaces their stock water pumps with one off a V-10 truck for better cooling.

So, this begs the question can I put a V-10 water pump on this TC cover, does it offer any cooling advantage, and will the pullies line up, and is the inlet hose in approximately the right spot?

I went to autozone and verified that a '95 5.0 mustang, '96 4.6 mustang, and '99 v-10 pickup all have different water pump part numbers, so that's promising because it may mean the v-10 has a heavy duty water pump.

If anybody knows if a V-10 pump performs better than 5.0 pump and whether it will fit on this explorer TC cover, I'd appreciate it.

- Steve

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Modular water pumps will not fit on the 5.0. Two completely different designs. However, Edelbrock does make a high-flow water pump for the 5.0. Don't know if it will work with your particular setup though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I think you may have misread my question.

The timing chain cover that I have off the '98 explorer is clearly set up for a different type of water pump than what came on 63-95 small blocks.

My hypothesis is that this is the modular motor style pump, and they did this to avoid having to continue to produce 5.0 style pumps when no other engines required it.

So I am pretty sure it will bolt up, but my question is if the water inlet is in the right spot, if the pulley is the same length, and if the v-10 water pump outperforms 5.0 pumps.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
668 Posts
Take the TC cover to Autozone and ask for the waterpump that fits it and the V10 one. Have some measureing tools and a water pump pulley with you. Check it out in person. Best way I can think of. Unless you just buy the V10 one and mock it up on the car. Then return it, if it doesn't work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts