Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put an A-trim on my car. Makes 6lbs. with the Power Pipe, which is all I was looking for on my stock bottom end. Being it's a V-1 obviously, I fully expected it to make some noise. It makes none! Idle, boost, nothing. Just seems odd to me, it's so quiet.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yea a V-1 gearset should have that classic vortech whine to it. I'd call in to vortech with the serial number, maybe it's been upgraded to a SQ gearset, but they even had a little sound to them.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think about that, but these things came out in 1991. I doubt they're going to know anything about it at this point, lol. Seems to work good though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
True, back in the early 2000's I had an A-trim, vortech couldn't tell me anything about it. Regardless, it was still loud. Several years ago I had an SC trim, and a T trim race unit, vortech had all sorts of info on those two, mfg dates, ect. I think I'd still give them a call as to why it's so quiet, might be ready to come apart and send the impeller through the engine, might be nothing.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked to them. Tech told me, records are kept for 12 years on new head units by serial number. If it's ever sent back for service, regardless of age, that serial number is then put in the system, and again, for 12 years. No dice on mine.

I asked him if it's possible it may have had a different transmission put in it, at some point, and he said yes, definitely. But yeah, he said the V-1 A trim is typically a pretty loud little piece. Weird.

That's supposed to be part of the fun! lol

Oh well. Stealth it is.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I put a V1 on my car this past year, idle speed around 1000-1100 and choppy cam made mine sound way quieter. Adjusted my idle down a little bit and the blower was much louder. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a V1 on my car this past year, idle speed around 1000-1100 and choppy cam made mine sound way quieter. Adjusted my idle down a little bit and the blower was much louder. Just my 2 cents.
My cam is 223/231. Idle speed is 800.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The first blower I had on my car was a V-1 T Trim and it was loud as all hell. I traded it for a S-trim that was also listed as a V1 but the owner said it was super quiet so he thought it had been upgraded to a V2 gear set. Last year I had a bearing go bad and had to rebuild it and did it myself. I opened it up thinking I would find helical cut gears and was surprised when I found straight cut gears. I called Vortech and their response was some of them could have some tighter tolerances and would not be as loud. It makes boost just fine and the car makes good power and I kind of like the stealth over everyone hearing me three blocks away like they did with the T-trim.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had an V2 on my 94 gt and it had more of a bad idler pulley sound to it. I had a T trim on an LS and you could hear it coming from way off. I loved it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I had my V-1 A-trim, two of my buddies had V-2 S-trim units. One of the V-2 blowers was labeled V-2 SQ, and was maybe half as loud as the other units, but still noticable. The other two were just plain classic vortech whine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just talked to them. Tech told me, records are kept for 12 years on new head units by serial number. If it's ever sent back for service, regardless of age, that serial number is then put in the system, and again, for 12 years. No dice on mine.
A few months ago i emailed vortech with the serial number for my v-1 asking about its age and if had ever been sent in for service. In the email i received they were able to give me the exact date of manufacture (5-15-1998), and it had never been back for service. Thats definitely over the 12 year claim you were told on the phone.

By the way, My v-1 a trim still has a nice wine to it:wink2:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the tight tolerance being a possibility. Just not on a head unit that's prob. 25 years old, lol. I kind of like the old school, period correct A-trim. Maybe I need to get myself a Tmoss ported GT40 now!

Random video I had on my phone. And yes, my car sleeps on carpet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's pretty interesting. As it's been said already, you can even hear a V2 at idle. I had my A-trim upgraded to an Si-trim a couple years ago, kind of wish I would have gone with V2 gears. Even with idle a hair over 1000, I have to wear ear muffs when I've got the hood up checking timing in the garage lol

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm betting it's prob. been rebuilt by a 3rd. party at some point. Superchargerrebuilds, or something similar. My understanding is Vortech changes the tag? I'm sure a 3rd. party wouldn't bother. Whenever I have the headunit off next, I'm going to take it apart and look inside. I guess I could prob. see the gears by peeking in through the oil feed too. Never thought of that. I would think, it would be setup to squirt right onto the transmission.

Ear muffs, lol. I'd just drive around with my helmet on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts